Needing help with the name

Description:

One more from my Utah trip. This was was taken after a long hike in the middle of nowhere near a wash that I was able to drive in. The ground was soft and fluffy, like little tiny pillows. When I stepped on this dirt I would sink in a couple of inches. I stayed in the wash as much as I could and came across i tributary where I saw the stones cascading down a small crooked pathway. What struck me was the white rock leading a bunch of red rocks down the hill. It looks like these rocks are frozen in time. I’m searching for an appropriate name for this image and would love your help. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Please help with a name for this image. Also, this was minimally processed and wondering if I can do more. Burn the right side and dodge the left for more separation, etc.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Z7, 24-70mm, 70mm, ISO 80, 1/125 @ f/16

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
This is not a composite or a focus stack although I should have considered a focus stack on this one.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

1 Like

David, I think you already have the name: “Rock Cascade.” A cool image that reminds me of the Painted Hills here in Oregon, minus the rocks. The ground looks very similar. Nice shot.

So beautiful. I wonder if it is some kind of pumice? That usually feels just how you described when you walk in it.

Funnel of Time would be my name of choice

I really like the darker rock at the top and the angle of repose of everything in the scene.

Neat look at the boulders and bentonite. Rock Cascade works well as suggested by David.

“A rock of a different color” or “leader of the pack”.

You have an interesting composition here. I like the texture throughout. The surface of the fg rock seems blurry and I feel it should be sharp to go with all that texture.

Thank you @Harley_Goldman , @David_Bostock , @Kris_Smith , @Guy_Manning , and @Igor_Doncov for you input on this image. I really appreciate the names you guys came up with. Not sure what I’ll go with yet but these help.
Igor, you might have to click twice on the image to get to it’s largest size to get that lower rock sharp. It’s sharp on my full size image so I’m not sure what’s happening here but when I click twice on the image it’s pretty sharp.
Thanks again everyone.

A unique kind of image, @David_Haynes. I like the simplicity of just the slanted walls, and the whole story seems about the rocks at the base of the “V”.
At first I thought “Light and Dark”, reflecting the tones of each side of the image. But a different title is needed, with the rocks being what my eye rests on. Let us know what you decide!

This is a very strong composition. The lines and curves here are just wonderful. I love the strong texture and subtle colors here. My title suggestion would be “Ready to Strike”, because I see the rocks at the top as a rattlesnake getting ready to strike it’s prey, the rock at the bottom. This interaction between the upper and lower rocks creates a tension that makes the composition work so well.

2 Likes

Hi @David_Haynes … even though I comment on your image now, I must say that it intrigued me right once you posted it, and I have spent some time each day reflecting on your question, on providing a name for this one. I like this a lot, the form and texture, and of course the transcending nature of this image which really invokes various interpretations. First seeing it, I saw what other people also saw, that obviously this small rock on the foreground is separated from the other rocks, and that it’s appearance is different. So irrespective of if it can be leading or tailing them all, the main thought that came to me is that this rock is “Alone”.
… A couple of days ago though, I looked at it again up close, and I realised that these are actually two rocks in the foreground. They are slightly different in colour and texture and have their own individual shadows… So I think the title that could be fitting here, from my personal subjective point of view of course, is “The Odd Couple”… In any case, and irrespective of title, this is such a nice image, and serves to remind us of the expressive power of photography, and art in general. Kudos :clap:

‘It looks like these rocks are frozen in time’

Hi David! I’m a little late in the game but I really liked this image the first time I saw it. I feel like your take/interpretation of the image could actually make for a great title ‘frozen in time’ , ‘frozen’, or maybe ‘stone cold’ ?