Neoscona crucifera

aka the arboreal orb weaver. This is a female and I scared her off the web trying to get her picture even though I was trying to be careful. I think I hit one of her tripwires and up she went. Luckily not far and I could get this shot. It’s really a fluke. A result of spray and pray to some extent.

My spider book says this is one of the most polymorphic of our common spiders, so this is not a 100% ID, but the fact that her legs are red and the bold patterns variable, but in line with what they are like, I’m pretty confident.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m open to ideas.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld while trying not to step on another web or crash into hers. Plus it was windy.

Lr processed for exposure, white & black points and this square crop. Topaz Sharpen and then Photoshop for some distraction removal.

@the.wire.smith

Kris, I like how you captured it against a nice smooth green BG. It makes it stand out nicely. You captured some nice details in her. I am glad you didn’t scare her completely away. Not being familiar with this type of spider, I am not sure how much of their face and eyes are visible, probably nothing like my jumpers. It is amazing they have hairs on their legs even.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman - so far as I know, this and other orb weaver species still have 8 eyes, but none are so prominent as a jumpers are. The cephalothorax is also structured differently - more elongated I think than jumpers typically. The hairy legs are something, aren’t they? Orb weavers in particular have stripes like these and lots of crazy patterning in order to hide in plain sight in dappled light. I almost didn’t see this one even though I practically walked right through her web.

1 Like

Hi Kris, a really interesting and intriguing subject - glad you shared this with us. Nicely composed with good subject placement and a pleasing background. Well done.

Kris: I really appreciate the persistence and patience it takes to get a shot like this. My trusty 200mm macro is a sllloooooooow focusing lens even on my A77II but even more so when I have it mounted on my A7RIII with the mount converter. If I get one keeper out of 20 I’m generally ecstatic. Thank goodness for fast frame rates and the delete button! This looks great with a marvelous BG and just enough web to complement the spider. Top notch. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Thanks @Bill_Fach - the light was too good to give up on and I’m glad I got one shot out of it.

Spiders aren’t everyone’s cuppa, but I love them so am happy to share @Allen_Sparks. Judging by some of your recent photos you like them too.