New Computer Build

My 12 year old ASUS build is starting to show its age and with fried memory banks, Photoshop only produces the Blue Screen of Death. Lightroom functioins normally. So it is time for me to get geeked up about building a new photo-editing computer. I decided on using an Asus Pro ws-x570-Ace motherboard with a Ryzen 7 3700x CPU. 32 or 64 gb of ram and M.2 nvme drives for the operating system will provide ample processing speed for large photos. Intel CPUs are slightly faster, but more expensive.

So until I get this built, I won’t be able to post images for a short while. …Jim

1 Like

Is the build done? I have loved having 64G RAM and M.2 main drive with an SSD secondary drive for my image files, plus a fast internal spinning drive for frequent backups (with external drive for offsite-stored backups). I built this out earlier this year and it’s a big step up from my old computer (even though I’d upgraded that with an SSD main drive).

I’m headed to the Tetons and Yellowstone tomorrow, so the build is on hold till after I return. It is amazing on how fast those M.2 drives are when compared to a standard SATA drive…Jim

Waiting for the feedback on that Ryzen, on the paper they are amazing for the price.
Cheers

The computer is now functioning and am in the process of moving my hard drives into the new box. The build features an Asus Pro Ws x570-Ace motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3700x CPU, 64 gb of Ballistix 3200 DDR4 memory, 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVME, 500 gb Samsung 970 EVO NVME, and an Asus Geforce RTX 2060 video card. The Ryzen is a very nice CPU for the price. The motherboard is a workstation mobo and my only nit is that I wish it had more SATA sockets for hard drives. The Geforce video card has 6 gb of memory and I’m running it with 10 bit color…Jim

1 Like

The Ryzen CPU passed the test. It is fast–5 seconds to run Topaz DeNoise AI. 6 fans keep it nice and cool…Jim

2 Likes