New tags for the Flora category

Hello all,

I have added some tags in the Flora critique and gallery sections to help differentiate the different types of flower photography. These will be required when adding a new post now. Here are the new tags:

• studio-flower
  • wild-flower
  • garden-flower

Since I am not an expert on flora I would like to hear your feedback on how this could be improved or if there is a category of flora that I am missing.

Thanks!

Iā€™m not sure of the need. I know I post in the narrative what type it is, either directly or by inference. Since I donā€™t really know what the purpose of the tags is, please explain.

Itā€™s mainly for organization Phil, thereā€™s a couple of benefits.

1. When you click on the tag it takes you to all posts that have that tag, so if someone just wants to see studio flora images they can go straight to that without sifting through the posts.
  2. They can see it in the list of all posts so they can quickly identify what it is.

Nothing earth shattering, but I think itā€™s a nice little addition to keep things organized.

I missed this post when first posted, but I had noticed the new tags. Iā€™d like to make a couple of suggestions.

• Some of the images in flora are not flowers. They can be foliage, bark, whole trees, ferns, moss, etc.

• I would thus take the three categories and re-name them as ā€œspecimen in the wildā€, ā€œcultivated specimenā€ and ā€œstudio imageā€, or something like that.

• Then, have a second tag specifying ā€œflowerā€, ā€œtreeā€, ā€œfernā€, ā€œfruitā€, etc.

• And, if one wants to be REALLY nerdy, where do mushrooms go? When I was in college fungi were classified with plants, even though everybody knew that that could not possibly be right. Now thanks to DNA we know that they are actually closer to animals than to plants. So should mushrooms go in wildlife? Just kidding - a mushroom tag in flora works fineā€¦

Good point! I have removed the ā€˜flowerā€™ part of the tag for simplicity sake, so now they are garden, studio, and wild. I donā€™t feel there is need to get any more granular than this as it makes posting more complicated. I can certainly do it if I hear a good argument for it, but letā€™s see how this does for now.

That works!!

1 Like