New to the network

Hello everyone,
I recently joined the network and just started participating in the critiques. I am looking forward to learning from and with other members.
I have been taking snapshots off and on for almost 30 years, but it was only at the end of 2019 when I decided to approach photography as an art and way for me to share my thoughts and emotions. And it has only been since about a year ago when I felt like I learned enough technique to be able to make images that looked like what I intended to communicate.
So, still very much learning and developing my craft and looking forward to hopefully helping others do as well.
My first image is from my local park during a visit yesterday morning. I had recently come upon this intimate scene and found it somewhat interesting but did not take a photograph of it that day. Yesterday, however, the shell (not there the last time) caught my eye and then the colors, shapes, and textures really drew me in. During processing I found that I liked a cooler white balance as it helped bring out the blues that I found nicely contrasted with the yellows/oranges. Any thoughts, ideas, etc. welcome!

1 Like

Hello Dean, welcome to NPN. I know you’ll find this a warm, inviting place to learn and grow.

I like your first post here. Very intimate with a bit of abstract feel to it as well. You might consider posting it in this week’s Weekly Challenge. The subject is “Small.”

I like that the shell is not centered. The bluer area in the lower left points to the shell making it a nice touch. The only thing I might consider is cropping a touch off the bottom to get rid of the darker area in the lower right.

Again, welcome to NPN. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Thank you, David. I tried out the crop you suggested and I think it improves the image. I’ll take a look at the Weekly Challenge.

Welcome to NPN, Dean! Really cool, abstract looking image. I also like the recrop that you did for the weekly challenge as suggested by @David_Bostock. Looks good! I think you’ll really like this community. I’ve learned a lot as I’m new to photography as well. Feel free to also critique. Look forward to seeing more of your work!

Thank you, Vanessa. I look forward to posting more work and also contributing with critiques.