No title

What artistic feedback would you like if any? A very shallow pond here with fresh thin ice makes in my book a perfect impressionistic image full of vivid colours. Very interested in your thoughts.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Focus stacked back to front.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@fotomagica3968

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I think this has a lot of potential. The one thing that stands out to me is the highlight/reflection that runs through the left third of the frame. A polarizing filter would take this right out and essentially remove the ‘dimensionality’ and the depth in the image.
@Alex_Noriega just released a flippin awesome article that goes into why it is so important to be intentional with what you exclude and include in the frame.
In this image you have clearly chosen to exclude almost everything that gives the image context, however the highlight seems to have been overlooked. In regards to Alex’s writing, the highlight acts as ‘The Sky’, essentially telling the viewer what the subject is, the scale of the subject, the angle it was shot at and the conditions it was shot in.

Very cool nonetheless.

2 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts, @Michael_McGee!

@Mattias_Sjolund, I agree with Michael in that I would love to see what this looked like with the reflection polarized, but I’m not sure I would have thought this without reading Michael’s comment first.

For me, the reflection does clue you into a bit of context, but the image is still very interesting and beautiful nonetheless. I would like to see what it would look like with the reflection darkened and made more blue/saturated, so that it maybe becomes yet another element of abstract color in the image rather than a “separate” distraction.

Looking at the full resolution, I’m not sure if there was an error in focus stacking/blending or if the blurred areas were movement?

2 Likes

@Alex_Noriega @Michael_McGee Thank you both for taking the time to review my image. I am honoured.

Re: polariser I am guilty as charged. I simply didn’t have it with me this morning and realised that it could be a problem once I found this shallow pool of ice and I will definitely look to make it darker and as suggested blue/saturated.

As for the blurred areas I simply wasn’t careful enough in my estimates while taking the images, I obviously skipped areas the for this reason alone got blurred.

Images similar to this are often overlooked. Glad you have the “eye” to see its beauty. Great colors and designs in the ice. Well done.

1 Like

Mattias,

Love the colors and patterns in the ice. Very cool. Can we call these fractals? That’s what comes to mind for me anyway.

I tend to agree about the reflected highlighted areas. Not an image killer per se, but is a good example of what Alex was speaking to in his article. The great news I think, assuming you have enough pixels, that right half can simply be carved up, cropped however you like and I still think provide the same impact. Lots of possibilities and great potential here still.

Lon

1 Like

@Patricia_Brundage: Thank you for you comment and appreciation.

@Lon_Overacker: Yes I got plenty of pixels, but I have now damed the reflections accordingly and the are more towards the blues. Thank you for your comment. Much appreciated