Nocturnal Mystery

Image Description

This image was grabbed in an alleyway of Split, Croatia. We were on our way back to our BnB when I spotted a Nun coming down the alley. A car followed behind as she hurriedly unlocked a metal door and disappeared inside. No idea what was going on but it was one of the most surreal few seconds I’d experienced in a while.

Type of Critique Requested

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I am not looking for technical critique of this image. It was captured in a hurry (thankfully I had auto ISO on). Im aware that it isn’t an image that can stand up to pixel peeping. I am offering it for critique of its emotional, artistic value or ability to engage the viewer.

Technical Details

Lumix GX8, Leica 15mm 1.7 Summilux
1/60th @ f4.5, ISO4000

1 Like

No need for pixel-peeping here – you captured an amazing scene with lighting and action that could be from a movie, with lots of captivating mystery and emotion. Very nice tonalities in the lights and darks. Excellent!!

1 Like

Thank you for your input.

Hi Bill,

I love scenes like this, it makes me think it’s a screen capture from a mystery movie (I know it’s your photograph).
I had to zoom in to explore a few things and that’s when I noticed the man behind the car which makes this even more mysterious :slight_smile:

The sign on the left side of the alley was worth researching and if I have this right, that’s an entrance to a four star hotel called “Zephyrus Boutique Accommodation”.
(Zephyrus from Greek Mythology - meaning God of the West Wind)

The nun might be in a hurry because it appears that there’s a flow of soap suds coming out of the bottom corner of the door which is likely from an overflowing washing machine?
Maybe the nun got a call from someone saying that there’s soap suds flowing out of that door and she quickly drove there to investigate? It could be that she parked the car at a place where there’s a recess in the wall so she could open the door to get out, that alley looks pretty narrow. It doesn’t look like there’s anyone in the driver’s seat but it’s kind of hard to tell for sure.
Maybe someone else drove her there?, or, the car could be completely unrelated.

The man walking behind the car could be headed to the Zephyrus?

Well, to me, you achieved all three.

• Emotional: It did evoke an emotional response in me and that was mostly the sense of urgency and maybe even a little bit of an ominous feeling.

• Artistic value: It definitely has an artistic quality, it’s very close to a cinematic look.

• Ability to engage the viewer: My response above should answer this one.

I think it’s safe to say that I thoroughly enjoyed viewing and exploring this.

Well done, especially since it was a somewhat quick candid shot.

1 Like

Ah, Bill. This is intriguing, mysterious, and wonderful. What a great moment in time catch. It makes me wonder what was going on. That’s a great way to pull the viewer into the scene. Awesome.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and in depth comments. You actually found a couple of tidbits that I hadn’t noticed.

Thank for taking the time to look and comment. Appreciated.

I just want to echo the input of everyone else here…an outstanding image!