Not the early bird

This shot was taken on a cold winter morning (By Queensland Australia standards). I headed off early to a quiet little spot on the Eastern side of my local lake. I was hoping to photograph ducks, still sleeping on the water in the golden light that particular location provided. This little crested pigeon caught my eye though. It had found a nice warm rock and was preening happily in the warmth the newly risen sun and rocky location provided. Not long after I was startled by a flurry of feathers falling to my right…a falcon had, no doubt snatched up one of this little fellows friends mid air. Much to fast for me to notice. For me, its not so much the photograph, but the experience with nature that draws me out of my warm bed early…priceless little moments that often pass beyond notice.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D7200, Tamron 150-600, taken lying flat on the grass.

What a sweet shot, Anne! The soft background tones are very complimentary for the pigeon’s colors and great sunlight and feather details. Great to be out in the early morning .

1 Like

Superb detail and sunlit colours - the closed eye is a beautiful extra.

Anne! How nice to see you here!

The crested pigeon is one of my favourite birds. It’s beauty is often unseen by many. A wonderful, but unusual pose captures the head-dress and well as the iridesence of the wing. Background is great.

Lovely, Anne. Welcome to the NPN community. I echo the comments the others have already stated. Sounds like an amazing experience. Very nicely done.

A lovely touching moment for sure! Very nice capture.

Glad to have you here on NPN. Please join in the community by providing feedback on other images, and continue to share your work.

Welcome to NPN.

Welcome to NPN and the Avian community, Anne. This is a lovely image of this bird in a very sweet pose and setting. The morning light really brought out its beauty.

I noticed that you used the “region_southeast” tag. This site is a bit American centric and that tag means the southeast US. I’m afraid the only thing we have for you is “region_Australia”.

Again, welcome to the group and I look forward to more of your posts and your comments on the work of others.

Well done with respect to detail, colour, background. A little more room around the bird would help the composition.

Hi Anne Maree
Vary lovely pigeon, the morning sun helped bring out the pigeon’s coloring and feather detail. I think the framing could be open-up some.
Thank you for the post.
Peter

Hello, Anne. I took me a few seconds to realize what I was looking at :wink: … Lovely image with nice colors and an interesting pose. Cheers, Hans