Sunset muskmallow

When I went out early this morning to catch a new Abelmoschus manihot bloom before the wind, what should be waiting beside it but a mantis! I decided to leave it there, just to show how weird they can be, because I never see insects at this plant. Anyway, this flower unfurls quickly so I didn’t wait. It was almost too sunny, but I knew the wind would start soon. I just caught this stack before things started to move. The flower opens into a broader shape and the stamens emerge by midday, but by then it’s too windy. Like daylilies, the flowers are finished by nightfall, and soon fall off.

Specific Feedback Requested

The lighting was a problem. Not only did I have the bright house wall and a window in the BG,but the folds of the flower parts presented a variety of tones and intensities. The upper section of the flower had a green cast (maybe a reflection from the leaves but I didn’t like it) - so I selected this area and dialled down the green. The brighter sections I toned down with Highlights - having selected them separately. Any advice on handling the lighting on this flower would be very welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500 + 105mm macro f7.1 1/1600 ISO 400 + tripod

18 shots stacked in Zerene (PMax). Topaz Denoise and Topaz Sharpen applied.

Oh boy. This one does have issues. Not sure what could be done except don’t take the shot to begin with. I think you’ve done as much as you can to mitigate it, but without success. Some shots just don’t work. You wouldn’t believe how many I have tried to force, but sometimes it’s just better to walk away. Conversely you could have tried to make your own shade. I carry a folding reflector that is useful for this purpose. I’ve also used hats, jackets and my own body to create a shade across my subject. It may have worked here, but I don’t know how feasible it might have been.