Old Town Pondscape

I’m posting 3 photos together to show how it pays off to take all of your lenses with you when you go out, even if you only anticipate using one lens.

My original intent was to walk the dogs on the tide flats at the Old Valdez Townsite. It was a nice day so I took the camera and almost as an afterthought I put the 100-400 mm lens in the car even though I didn’t intend to pack it around with me while walking. I was hiking with the 16-70 mm lens and was occasionally stopping to shoot landscapes as the dogs ran around. The first photo is one of those many shots. The sun was going down but there was some great light on the peaks so when I got back to the car I decided to pull out the big lens and shoot some close-ups of the alpen glow. The second and third images are a couple of those I took of one bright peak at different zooms. Here are the images:

1. Old Town Pondscape - - The mountains on the East side of the bay, with spot lighted peaks and a reflection in a tide water pond. [Sony a6300, SEL1670Z @ 16 mm, ISO0100, f/11.0, 1/320, hand held]

2. Light & Shadows on Peaks - - A zoom in to one of the bright peaks. If you look at the first photo, this is the bright peak on the far right side. [Sony a6500, FE100400GSM @ 238 mm, ISO-100, f/8.0, 1/200, hand held.]

3. One Bright Peak - - Same peak, zoomed in closer. [Sony a6500, FE100400GSM @ 361 mm, ISO-100, f/8.0, 1/200, hand held.]

Sure glad I brought that telephoto lens with me :slight_smile:

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.

Gorgeous conditions, well captured! I think the third is my favorite; it has the best composition that emphasizes the light and atmosphere best. Thanks for sharing these three right next to each other.

Gary, great illustration of the power of telephoto extraction. Some photographers would have been drawn to the wider scene of the reflection, but the telephoto shots are way more dynamic and interesting to me. My favorite is the second image, I love the shadow cast by the sunlit peak on the right. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve tried to cut down on the weight in my camera bag, and sold a 100-400mm lens to buy a 70-200mm f4 lens. These shots remind my why I sometimes miss my trusty old 100-400mm lens.

This is a wonderful series of photos Gary. My favorite is the second.

Ed; The second image is my favorite also. I particularly like the sharp shadows plus the incidental light and the textures it brings out on the snow. Its interesting that you sold your 100-400 to get a 70-200 f/4 because I sold my 70-200 f/4 to buy the 100-400! The good news is that Sony did a great job of keeping the weight down on their 100-400. It’s not that much larger or heavier than their 70-200 f/4 was. I have Sony’s 70-200 f/2.8 also and it’s about the same size and noticeably heavier than the 100-400. It’s my fall back when the light gets really low.

Gary, I shoot Canon, and the 100-400mm 5.6 is significantly heavier than the 70-200mm f4. The Canon 70-200mm f4 is a very sharp lens, and gives me what I need about 95% of the time, but your shots here make me a little wistful.