On My Way Home

Description: Great blue heron approaching the rookery with some new nesting material. I took quite a few photos of this bird as it flew towards its nest. This was taken in early morning light and I like the pose.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 600mm f4 (1/2000 sec at f8.0, ISO 640) Crop for comp (30% removed), Levels, shadows & highlights, brightness & contrast, Topaz Adjust, Hue & Saturation to reduce cyan and shift color to blue for the sky.

Is this a composite?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Really awesome photo, Jim! That’s neat to be able to see them building their nest!

1 Like

Excellent flight detail. The nesting material takes the shot a notch up. Nice capture.

1 Like

Excellent, Jim. Great wing position and nice light in the eye. the detail in the heron is superb. Well done.

1 Like

I like the pose too!! Not an easy one to “find”. All said above!

1 Like

Jim, an excellent shot with fine details in the heron and it’s luggage against a nice clean sky.

1 Like

Hi Jim
Nice job on the sky’s color shift. The frame eye contact and wing detail are vary good. The nest must be close by as it looks like the Blue is getting set to land. Nice work.
Peter

1 Like

Thank you @Mark_Seaver , @peter, @Diane_Miller , @Dennis_Plank , @Allen_Brooks , and @vanessa for your comments. My next plan is to combine all the shots from this series to make a panorama of flight shots
Jim

Hi Jim: I did that for a Sandhill take-off years ago. I liked it a lot, but you’ll need to find a place to print it really big to appreciate it fully (I haven’t taken that step yet). Unfortunately, viewed on a screen, the individual shots end up so small if there are many of them.

1 Like

I thought about that. I may have to make a foldable jpeg for on screen viewing
 Jim

Oh wow, Jim, what a great shot with the nesting materials in his mouth. I love his wing position. Very nice details in the GB. Very nice shot.

1 Like