On Top of the Breakwater

This was taken about 10 minutes prior to my last post from Cape Henlopen SP, DE. The raw file has a few more rocks in the FG, but they were slightly OOF so I cropped them off. No gigantic waves like the coast of New England probably is getting, but they were still fairly nice. There are two stone breakwaters at Herring Point to help stop the sand erosion. I have no idea what the pilings were originally installed for, but I have used them a few times in other compositions.

Anyway, thanks for taking a moment and leaving a thought.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 35mm, f 13 @ 0.6 sec, ISO 100, cable release & tripod

1 Like

Ed, this image has a pleasing mood, and all the elements came together for you here. I like the pastel colors in the sky and water, and you did a good job of timing the surf. The placement of the horizon line works well for me too. But this image works much better with the pilings in it, it’s amazing how small things can make a big difference sometimes.

Did you take this after Henri? Here in Mass. we have had more or less constant rain from Friday up until Tuesday morning. I may try to head down to Rhode Island tomorrow morning, it will be the first one post -Henri with any chance of a sunrise.

Thanks for taking a moment for the kind words @Ed_McGuirk; always appreciated. This was taken before Henri so I was pleased with the wave action. Whenever I do stay at Cape Henlopen I always make at least one trip down to the breakwater and pilings just for something different rather than just sand and water. Did you manage to make it over to Rhode Island for the sunrise?

The pre-sunrise color is just beautiful, with the pink reflection on the water. The pilings certainly add an element of mystery.