One Eye Open

Just wandered down to the dock and had to go back for the camera. I should just bring it every darn time because this loon was resting in the center channel in the river. I could tell its head was tucked in, but not that the eye was open. I’ve never seen this before, but I guess they have to chill sometimes.

Specific Feedback Requested

Too boring? Any thoughts or impressions are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Shot handheld on the steps of the dock since it was too choppy to go out on it (it floats).

Ran through ON1 No Noise a few times to get the over-sharpening down so it wasn’t producing a lot of artifacts. I’ve noticed that I have to be careful with it and sometimes the only evidence shows up when the DNG is returned to Lightroom.

From there a crop and some grad filters on the water over and below the loon itself. White & black points and some boost in color.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

Lovely light, Kris, and excellent detail in the Loon. It’s not boring to me; I like images of relaxed birds, and you have a great look at that wonderful eye.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank - I can’t resist these birds and am so fortunate that I see or hear one almost every day in summer. A few sandhill cranes just flew down river a while ago - didn’t see them, but heard that loud trilling/whistling they do.

Anwyay…thanks for the feedback. I was on the fence about this one.

Right, these birds are hard resist and hard to expose properly. They present a lot of challenges. I like this image because of the pose and the water quality. Nice image.

Nice opportunity with a lovely and interesting pose with the open eye. (Did it hear you?) The water is lovely around the Loon but for me the amount of it overpowers a small-in-the-frame subject. If this would stand up to a big crop I think it would be a very strong image.

Hi Kristen
The resting Loon presents a very restful photograph. I think the Loon’s head could be a little darker. As for the framing I like the space you gave the loon.
Peter