One Small Stick.,.....

Seconds earlier, this one is not as dramatic as the first image. Some orphan sticks were removed in both images too.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Nesting season is in full swing and the heron rookery was very active a couple weeks ago. Apparently, this heron’s stick broke and only the small remnant made it back to the nest. Grackles seem to like hanging out around the nest hoping foir some scraps of food.

Specific Feedback

I like the interaction between the two birds and the landing pose seems to generate a lot of interest for the eye. What do you think?

Technical Details

Z9 600mm f4 (1/3200 sec at f8.0, ISO 1000) White Balance, Levels, Topaz DeNoise AI, Crop for Comp.

Every little bit helps, Jim! I like both of these. The second heron has a better position in the first, but I really like the pair of grackles in the second and prefer the angle of the heron carrying the stick in that one as well.

1 Like

Nesting season is a great time to be a bird photographer. These two look busy for sure. I like the sequence and the lovely light and sharpness. The tiny twig is pretty funny.

1 Like

Both very nice action shots of the branch carrying heron, but I prefer the first image. We can see the other heron’s eye with the head directed at its approaching mate. I also like the landing pose and the more intimate feeling as it approaches the nest. Nice to have this photo opportunity.

1 Like

Hi Jim, nice series and I like both shots with the first being my favorite for the same reasons Allen states above. Great to get this whole scene in focus - both birds and the nest - well done.

1 Like

Thank you @Dennis_Plank , @Kris_Smith , @Allen_Brooks , and @Allen_Sparks . I like the first one because of the position of the feet preparing for landing. From your critiques, I certainly cannot throw any of them out. …Jim

What a tiny stick for all that trouble! But excellent shots, both! If you’re into microsurgery, it might be possible to remove the shadow on the face. I love how the breast feathers (whatever they are called) are flared out in the first!

1 Like

Hi Jim
Watching Blues in a rookery and be every interning. I like the interaction and clarity of their interaction. Nice work.
Peter

1 Like