Orange-crowned Warbler and re-post

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I like the high key effect. I like the delicate nature of the buds and that their color is similar to the Warbler’s. I would have liked a better pose, however.

Specific Feedback

All thoughts appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4TC at 700 mm; 1/1000 at f10, +1EV; ISO 1250

1 Like

I agree completely with your self-critique, Allen. The catkins would make an interesting image all on their own.

1 Like

I do like the high key effect as well, question about the birds pose is probably answered by your vantage point, would you have been at eye level the pose would pretty good I suppose. Love the matching colors by the way enormously ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Yes, double bonus points for the matching colors!! Nice light! Maybe the bird has gotten a bit crunchy, compared to the catkins. I don’t know what you had just outside the frame but I think having more room on top would be nice, so the buds aren’t so crowded against the frame. I’d sacrifice some at the bottom for that.

1 Like

Hi Allen
I think Diane has an interesting point about opening up the frame to reduce the dominance of the buds and maybe look at using a brush on Topaz Sharpen AI between the Warbler’s beak and eye to reduce some motion blue. I think the framing and over all quality of the shot is very nice.
Peter

1 Like

Hi Allen, nice image even with the noticeable motion blur on the head. The buds add a very nice element. Agree with more room on top. Well composed otherwise. Well done.

1 Like

I love your creative vision here! I wonder about an even whiter background? That is just my taste for graphic images…

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion @Diane_Miller . I re-cropped and I think bringing the warbler lower in the frame provides for a better sense of an angle to the bird. There are still catkins at the top, but I felt cloning them out would leave just a bare, uninteresting branch. I think your suggestions improved the photo. I didn’t add any sharpening, so I don’t think it is as crunchy. I did a bit of work on the beak to address concerns of @peter and @Allen_Sparks .

2 Likes