Orb Spider

What technical feedback would you like if any?

all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D3400, 85mm, ISO 200 and 1/800 sec

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Mike,

This is really nice. Most of the spider is in sharp focus and the dew-drops are essential elements to the scene. Have you tried any with a smaller aperture to get everything in focus? Stacking images for this situation would also provide a workable solution to a limited DOF. The DOF is a trivial issue as this is a wonderful photo. Well done…Jim

thanks Jim, I used a wider aperture because I wanted the blurred BG, the ceiling of my porch was not pleasing to the eye in my opinion. give and take :neutral_face: I could have tried stacking however there was a lot of movement because of wind. thank you for your comments and suggestions

1 Like

A nice close up of this Orb Spider, Michael. I agree with Jim, most of the spider and the dew-drops are essential, and they are in sharp focus. Sometimes in macro in the outdoor environment, stacking just won’t work, because of movement that you have no control over. A nice shot, considering what you were dealing with.

Michael, this is a fine look at this spider. Its body and the dew drops are sharp where it’s important, the background is nicely smooth and non-distracting and the spider fills the frame well. I think a bit of burning-in on the brightest parts of the abdomen might look good. This is well done.

Michael: A great find and a fine capture. Webs are a real challenge in any kind of breeze so single capture is the only real alternative. I think you did very well with this one. I agree with Mark regarding burning down the abdomen spots a bit but this is top notch as is. >=))>