Orchid

Description:

I photographed the plant with existing light in The Orchid Room @ Phipps Conservatory, Pittsburgh. It was a fortunate situation. The natural light was bright but soft because the greenhouse glass was coated with whitewash to protect the plants. A black drape was hanging behind the plant.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Feedback on the photographic attributes, as well as the graphic, are welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

No

Nikon D850, 85 mm, f8, 1/400, ISO 800

The image below is the original to explain the circumstances.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

You have extracted a fantastic image! I didn’t know an orchid like this existed – how exciting to get to see it! The light on it was perfect, and the DOF just right. And no color issues here!

1 Like

Paul, this is incredible. And thanks for showing the original image. You certainly have a way with post processing. Excellent image.

1 Like

Beautiful picture, Paul! Delicate image of the orchid is well captured. It’s fabulous to get this image in such circumstances with a natural light.

Paul, I love the light and colors here, it is super dramatic. Those small splashes of green color green are a nice small touch as well. And after seeing the “circumstances” image, I’m doubly impressed. Great thinking on your part to see the potential in this image with some creative processing.

Black was the way to go here, clearly and it is dramatic without making the flower unapproachable - it preserves the delicacy of the structure and really lets us see it. Gorgeous.

1 Like

Thank you @Kris_Smith @Diane_Miller @Ed_McGuirk @David_Bostock @Nao_Koju .

@Kris_Smith - Yes, black is the background of choice. The plant would be lost against white. I was fortunate that one of the horticultural staff left the shade in place so I had black to work with. With serendipitous backgrounds, all that is needed is enough to have the full plant against black. Photoshop can add the rest by erasing.

@Ed_McGuirk I adding the “circumstance” image I hope it adds to their vision tools when shooting. This was in a conservatory and I didn’t have the luxury of getting the plant into the studio.

1 Like