Our Shadow Selves + Rework

SECOND VERSION:

FIRST VERSION:

The OOF secondary willow branch and the dark branches fading into the background caught my interest as I fooled around looking through the willows with a long lens. As I worked with this, it occurred to me that the background figures looked like shadows of the foreground willow. Once I had this thought, I had to start over with the processing. I had gone down a very high-key road, making the shadow branches much lighter. I was waffling on that version for quite a while, trying to get a better visual balance, so I made the background darker. Then, the light bulb went off, and here we are - our shadow selves lurking in the background of our lives.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome. I think it’s looking relatively balanced, but now that I think of it, maybe I need some imbalance to go with the theme. There’s more room on the right, but not the left.

And does the “story” come across?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 302mm, f/6.3, 1/400s, ISO 200.

bonnie_lampley
3 Likes

Nicely done, Bonnie. Interesting about your thoughts on the background figures being the shadow of the foreground because before I really examined the photo, I had the same thought. I like the lighting as it reflect the mood, at least for me. It is balanced, but again for me, in an off balance sort of way, which makes no sense, except I like the feel and the look. Truly nicely seen and captured.

Oh this is so lovely. I may not understand all of what went into but I know something special when I see it. I think that all of that experimentation with short DOF is paying off. You don’t get an image like this ‘by accident’.

So intriguing and even if the first time you saw the scene was serendipity, your treatment of it is where your vision really came together. Before reading your account of how this image came about, the ‘shadow’ reminded me of the concept of multiple or parallel universes. A favorite book of mine goes into this a little bit with the concept of exchanging or knocking you out of this universe into another one, and simultaneously pushing or pulling an alternate you into this one. There is always the need for balance. Never two of you in one universe. So that’s where my imagination went with this and it’s a good place.

Insofar as balance
well I’d play with it a bit more. I’m not sure how much more canvas you have on the right, but maybe a little more there and a little less of the OOF branches
but without seeing the whole image I can’t decide what would be best. It’s possible this is and that the relative angular nature of the background softens the already delicate flowers of the willow. Throws them further into a strange universe.

@linda_mellor and @Igor_Doncov, thanks for your thoughts. Linda, I’m glad you had the same thought as I on the shadows.

@Kris_Smith, thanks for your suggestion on the crop. I went back and re-cropped it to give more room on the right. I’d tried that version before, but it didn’t work. I finally realized I needed a bit of vignette on the right to constrain that side. Posted above. And I like your “alternative universe” take, too!

2 Likes

The second version works a bit better for me
it suggests more motion as if it was moving from universe to universe. So wonderful and imaginative.

1 Like

This is Wonderful.
Nice and simple, but so much life and intense in there.

The second version is outstanding, the extra space on the right add a lot for my taste. My only comment on the rework is that I wish the “ghost” branch in the center had it’s luminosity and contrast more similar to the way it is in the original (maybe somewhere in-between actually). But the rest of the reworks background is nice, softer and more subtle, which focuses more attention on the plant and its “ghost”.

2 Likes

Thanks, @joaoquintela and @Ed_McGuirk. Ed, you’re right that the middle ghost was a bit dimmer in the rework. I went back and brought it up a bit (not posted) - thanks.

I just want to second @joaoquintela comment. Very well done, both in the field and back home. I like the rework best, eventually with the change proposed by @Ed_McGuirk.

1 Like

The second version is much more balanced and has a softer, less intense background. I’m fine with the softer highlights on the “ghost” or “shadow” in the second version because it’s supposed to be a ghost or shadow anyway, not the main subject. I actually much prefer the softer ghosting in the second version because of this. I have to be honest, I find the first version to be out of balance and a little bit harsh with the tones and the lighting but you just NAILED that second version Bonnie. Way to go.