Painted Gold Pines

Gollanfield, Highlands, Scotland

A swathe of golden sunlight escapes some thin cloud and throws a finger of light across the wheat fields surrounding the grove of Scots pine trees on the wee cnoc (small hill) which sits just far enough above the distant peaks on the other side of the Moray Firth to be silhouetted against the late afternoon sky. They have irresistible charm and are often at their best at this time of year for the simple addition of colour that the current crop brings to the landscape.

This is a very interesting image. I find myself drawn to it and I can’t explain exactly why, except that I love big skies. The trees do anchor the image nicely. Nice image.

This image is simple but very effective,and has a lot of appeal. The image really hangs on that stand of trees and the beautiful gold color of the wheat fields, but you also did a very nice job of arranging the placement of the clouds in the composition, it creates a very nicely balanced comp. I also like how you have shadows both to the left and right of the trees (one nit would be to make the darkness of those two shadows more similar) . A very brilliantly seen and executed image Ian, i am enjoying this very much.

Thank you Ed and Richard. The stand of pines is very eyecatching and I am very pleased the farmer didn’t just bulldoze them away. Those two shadowed areas are created of course by the same light source but the one on the left is almost a shelf in the hill whereas the other is more a flattish field and is the shadow of the pines so ironically the two shadowed areas are of quite different densities. The one on the right picking up more reflection from that overhead blue patch of open sky.