Palette Spring

I just finished a couple of weeks in Yellowstone working on a project and this was my favorite from the trip. I processed it high key to give it a dreamy look. Anything you would change about it?

Subtle rework

Rework 2

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
4 Likes

David, it 's always nice to see you post here! I really like your vision on this one and I think the high key and restraint on the saturation of pastel colors work really well together. The “dreamy” look encourages the viewer to engage and study the intricate details closely. This reminds me of a scene we might have found in Death Valley. Beautiful work!

1 Like

David, I like the high key look. That and the subtlety of the lines throughout enhance the minimalist feel of the scene.

Max

1 Like

Excellent image, David. This is very much up my alley and looks great. No suggestions here, I am just thoroughly enjoying it.

1 Like

No changes necessary. This is really beautiful. The placement of the trees is perfect.

I quite like this including your choice of processing. Looks very calming and I can’t think of anything that I would change.

Oh wow, David, this is really nice. I like the soft colors, giving it the dreamy look. Those dead trees sticking out just adds to the scene, I think. I never thought to take a small scene of these minerals when we were in Yellowstone. Very impressive.

Just an excellent image. The lack of rich colors and contrast makes this image so special. The only suggestion I would make is to make that left branch more prominent somehow. I’m not sure how to do it and it could easily turn out worse if not done carefully. Other than that I wouldn’t change a thing. Excellent work.

Woah this is right up my alley, my cup of tea etc. I love the soft palette of subtle colours the greys and yellows. The trees on the right and centre stand out beautifully even in this softest of contrast lighting and although the left hand tree is less prominent because of the transition of background tones and hues it is essential to your composition. fabulous shot very well done.

Thank you everyone!

I agree Igor, thanks for pointing that out, I tried a few different things but most left it looking a bit flat. Eventually I settled on dialing back the highlights on the branches on the left side and I left the trunk alone. I posted a rework along with some other small tweaks and am quite pleased.

Very subtle and lovely, David. I really like the color and the contrast with the branches. For me, the texture of the rock on the left 1/3 (which kinda looks like an animal face in profile) competes with the subject, which I take to be the tree and it’s bg. If you made a squarish crop or even 8x10 horizontal it might feel more cohesive.

Just a possibility if it fits your sense of the subject,

ML

David: I wasn’t able to explore the Mammoth area much on our visit in early June but I remember this kind of scene from earlier trips. This is beautifully composed, captured and processed. Most excellent. >=))>

It’s nice to see you posting David, especially a subtle, yet very pleasing image such as this one. I like the high key treatment, it’s totally appropriate for this subject. It’s amazing how much the dead trees stand out, given they are a similar color and tonality to the terraces. The arrangement of lines and colors just sweep your eye thru the image.

This is an exquisite piece of art, David. Beautifully composed and processed. I can see why it is one of your favorites.

David,

This is simply gorgeous. Hard pressed to be critical or even suggest any improvements. The 2nd version - changes so subtle, but I’ll pick that one.

I love the colors - such variety, yet so very much subdued. Wow!

Lon

Definitely love the subtle pastels here. If I were to nit, I might boost the contrast on the branches and adjust the comp a bit to make them a little more off center, creating additional tension.

Looks great David. I can get lost in the patterns and subtle tones of those rocks.

Nicely seen. Nicely processed. That old truism that our eye is attracted to the brightest spots still applies to high key images and I find my vision drifting up to and off the upper left corner. If that area was kept high key, but darkened a …what is the word…a skoche…tidbit…tinybit…you know what I mean? That along with a wee spot middle of top edge would keep the dreamy feeling in the frame. Cheers.

I love this comp @David_Kingham. I like the idea of a high key version of this scene. It captures what it’s like on a bright sunny day when you’re having to squint your eyes or wear dark sunglasses. :smiley: It’s certainly different that so many of the darker sunsets/sunrise or starry night shots from there. It’s more of an art piece.

My thought is that I’d like to see a slight more definition in the textures of the scene. Not in bringing down the global brightness but maybe a selection of just the darkest lines. Even just a tick of the left side of a curves adjustment. I think that you could still keep the high key feel but give the viewer a bit more to easily see. :slight_smile:

Wonderful image, David. I love the high key look, and the soft colors. Well done, sir!
-P

1 Like