Palm Swirls

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the play of light on the leaves and the complimentary colours. Also the repeating patterns from the leaves. It’s a bit chaotic and it was challenging trying to find a composition and crop that simplified the scene.

Creative direction

I wanted to create an image that encouraged the viewer to be drawn in by the colours and then explore the patterns and shapes throughout the scene.

Specific Feedback

Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Technical Details

1/125s f/8 ISO 160

Description

It was one of those last minute shots where you’ve packed up all your gear and can’t wait to get back to car but the light catches your eye and you have to stop and take another shot.

Oooohhh! This one was worth stopping for! You composed some beautiful swirls and gorgeous colors. Everything is so sharp – possibly a focus stack, but doesn’t matter how you got it that way. It’s pure eye candy!

1 Like

Thanks for the comments Diane.

It’s like an upwardly flowing waterfall. The spray of leaves and the angle you caught them from just struck me that way. I really like the sunlight and how it plays throughout the structure of the plants. Quite mesmerizing. There is nothing like this way up here so I like it for its novelty to my eyes. I wonder if it would be possible to clone the small fronts pointing up and left. There’s one just about dead center and another in the ULC. Could be worth playing with to strengthen the overall pattern of the fronds. Really super and totally worth stopping for.

Thanks for the comments Kristen. I like your reverse waterfall analogy. I’ll have a go at the cloning.