Pandanus spiralis (screw pine, screw palm, iidool)

Description:

One of my very favorite plants is Pandanus spiralis. Although the common name includes “pine” or “palm,” it is neither. It’s in the genus Pandanus which is not closely related to palms.

It is native to northern Australia. Iidool is the indigenous name.

The fibre of the leaves can be used as a string for dilly bags, as well as baskets and mats.

Specific Feedback Requested:

All comments are welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

I waited for a clear early morning so the sun would be behind the plant. The flare is due to an f22 aperture.

Processing was in Lightroom with a considerable decrease in the highlights and an equally strong increase of the shadows.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

paulgwiegman

1 Like

Paul, this is excellent. I love the sun star kind of repeating the tree itself. The colors are excellent, and I actually like the lens flare down the center bottom of the image. The balance of the center of the plant and the sun to the upper right works quite well. The only thing I could comment on would be to maybe increase the contrast ever so slightly in the lower foreground. Not too much, just a tad.

Excellent image that would look great in print.

Fantastic! The sun star is perfection in itself, and perfect for the Pandanus! The other shapes mimic them both, making for a special image!

@David_Bostock @Diane_Miller Thank you. Dave, I’ll give that a try. I’ve played with the cropping at the bottom and haven’t found anything better than the original format.

I will remove the black plant tag at the bottom right. I should have done that before taking a photograph.

Really like the sunstar, Paul! I think it makes the tree stand out more! Sounds like a very versatile and useful plant!