Panoramic Layers

Most I often my work is in the 2:3 or 4:5 aspect ratio’s. I thought I’d make a series of images in a panoramic aspect ratio to challenge my eye and see compositions differently. This image is a first of a few images from the Canadian Rockies.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Anything that comes to mind

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Composition and whether there is enough subject matter to hold your attention. Typically in 2:3 o 4:5 I’d shoot the whole scene. For mountains the panoramic aspect made me choose what to include in the frame and what to leave out.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

1/800s, 212mm, ISO1000, F9. Single shot in 2:3 cropped to 2:1

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@nathankleinphotos

I like your image, Nathan. The dark forested foreground strongly presents the main subject. Really like the slanted shape of the Rockies and the serrated ridgeline along the right side , the light flirting along the slopes is very nice. The atmospherics are a strong element and the pano crop provides a well balanced the image. Well done. Don’t you just enjoy using a telephoto zoom lens to pull out these intriguing mountain images?

I find this image very beautiful, Nathan. It’s really about those diagonal lines that run as a theme throughout the photograph. There are the obvious diagonals of the tree line in the right foreground and the combination of tree line and cliff on the left. But what really takes this image further are the exceptional diagonals along the sun dappled peaks themselves. The dynamism of all of those diagonals is beautifully resolved in softness of the clouds and mist. I also love the colours that you’ve picked up in the mountains - the hints of magenta and green go very well with the dominant blue. Really lovely. One tiny nit. There is something almost dead centre in the frame that has a red glow to it. It is very small, but once I see it, I can’t un-see it, if you know what I mean. If you are amenable, I’d recommend cloning it out. I think the pano aspect ratio works very well here although I don’t think it would suffer with a bit more on the bottom. I wonder what it would look like at 16:9 (not taking anything off either side but adding to the bottom)?

The image conveys the power of the Jasper geology wonderfully. You captured the sweep of the mountain textures and framed that with the triangles of dark conifers.
The mountains’ color is so subdued relative to the conifers that I wondered what might happen if some of the darker tones on the nearer mountains were burned a little, Also added a little of the bare-earth color to the sky, which seemed to give it a little more visual interest, consistent with the strong character of the terrain.

This image really is about the diagonal lines, isn’t it? Both the obvious diagonals, and the more subtle ones you notice upon further reflection (such as the peak tops, even and the dark and light patches created by the dappled light on the side of the background mountains. I would not have expected diagonals to play such a prominent role in a panoramic image, but they do. Very nice bit of seeing and composition on your part Nathan. I’d say you effort to stretch your approach to include panoramics was very successful. Love this image as presented.

@Stephen_Stanton @Kerry_Gordon @Dick_Knudson @Ed_McGuirk thank you for your thoughts on this image.

Stephen, I do love telephoto photography in the mountains when there is dynamic weather. There’s no need to wait until the golden hours to shoot and it’s fun finding images in the middle of the day.

Kerry, I agree with the red cliff being a distraction. I debated with myself as to whether it was ethical to remove that rock feature. I think I’ll go ahead and remove it.

Dick, thanks for the re-work and your suggestions.