Pastel Explosion

Image Description

This photo was recently taken at the Desert Botanical Garden in Scottsdale, AZ. there was a soft, pin stucco wall behind the plant that attracted my eye. I tried pushing my camera into the plant to soften and blur the focus, while seeing the pink wall. I love the color contrast of the blues, greens, yellows, and pinks.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I’ve played around with this image quite a bit and don’t know where else to take it. I’m happy with it overall. The only area that I’m not sure of is the UL corner.

Technical Details

1/100 sec @ f5.0, ISO 1000, 99mm

5 Likes

Chris, this is sensational. I love the colors, the low contrast, and the shapes/lines. I wouldn’t change a thing. The UL looks fine. I guess you could darken it just a tad, or maybe add a vignette. But that’s so minor for such an excellent image.

Chris, Great idea to use the wall and have the camera very close. Thanks for providing that information. It will probably come in handy sometime. This is beautiful. Love the pastel colors and the flow of it. ULC: looks fine to me.

Hello Chris

I love this picture, its so unusual but “comfortable” on the other hand.
Love the colors also.

1 Like

@David_Bostock @joaoquintela @Jim_Gavin Thank you for taking the time to offer your comments.

More gorgeous colors! And so creative, to use the wall color and plant in the way you did. I see nothing amiss in the ULC - wouldn’t change a thing.

This is beautiful Chris! I like the colors, comp, lighting, etc. but I really like the way the image flows. The ULC fits in well with that flow. Well done!

Woah - I had to read your description twice before understanding that you didn’t put it in flora by accident and not abstract. It could go in either, but the fact that your camera came into physical contact with the plant gives it a whole new dimension. Groan, sorry.

ULC? Looks fine to me. I like the spray and arc of the lines and colors. They repeat, but randomly and that adds a sense of unpredictability and excitement even though the pastel hues are soothing. A treasure.

Hi Chris,

I think the only place to take this further is to the printer IMHO. :slight_smile:

This image seems to hold my interest much longer than most images.

The colors and the gentle sweeping lines mixed in with sections of straight lines are eye catching to say the least.
I think those distinct, narrow yellow lines add what it takes for me.
If those narrow lines weren’t there, I think it would be less appealing but I’m sure that’s just me.
Funny how small details like that can have such impact on visual interest.

An observation I had was that this seems to work in all orientations, I can rotate it 90° at a time until it comes back to this orientation, each is slightly different but just as appealing.

Love the backstory on how this was made.

Thanks, Chris! :slight_smile:

@Merv @Kris_Smith @Bonnie_Lampley @Steve_Kennedy Thank you for your thoughtful comments!

Love it! Very creative, and I agree this leans abstract (in a good way).

Chris, this is amazingly soothing and attractive along with a fine feeling of flow. Excellent job of seeing and creating! The ULC looks fine to me.

Outstanding combination of colors and patterns. I could certainly see this printed and displayed as an abstract. Well done.

@Mark_Seaver @John_Williams @Allen_Brooks Thank you very much!

Amazing, stunning and wonderful, Chris!

Wow! What a beauty! Love this one. Nothing else to add.

Beautiful image, Chris!! Wonderful soft colors and texture, lovely flow. I agree with others that the ULC is fine. Great creative floral abstract.

Were you at Out of Chicago? I’ve been seeing a lot of friends who went to that conference posting their images on IG. I need to add a trip to Scottsdale to my travel wish list!

1 Like

@AndreDonawa @linda_mellor Thanks for your support!

Thank you, Beth. Yes, I was at the Out of Chicago workshop at the Desert Botanical Gardens. It was great. I’d never attended anything similar previously. Great group.

2 Likes

Chris, what a stunning image, and so creative.