Peak

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All feedback is welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All feedback is welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

ISO 250 45mm f/13 1/2500s Ratio: 2592 × 4608

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Trevor. My first impression was that this is a very ethereal scene. I enjoy the layers of earth, clouds, and sky interweaving.
So I played with it … To me, the blue was too cool/cyan, so I warmed the image slightly, Also tried to increase contrast without diminishing your ethereal presentation, by darkening darker areas overall, and using Alister Benn’s history brush technique to gently burn some of the cloud areas.
Still, I think I left too much blue sky at the top. Dense blue is very eye-catching, and the top takes my eye away from the interplay below it. You might see what you think about cropping about half the top blue off.

With such an interesting composition, one has many choices. Below, I also pushed it toward partly high key in the second revision below.

1 Like

I’m not much of a landscape photographer, but my first thought was that this is the kind of image I love but something didn’t feel right about the dark sky at the top. @Dick_Knudson’s second version showed me why!

(Did I do the notation right? A lot to learn here…)

2 Likes

I find the image refreshingly different. The blue sky at the top adds a lot. I wouldn’t remove it.

Hi @Trevor ,

I like the vertical pano layout and the overall balance of the image, the only thing i would change is that cloud on the middle left side creeping on the edge, maybe removing it or including it by recroping. It make the eye go there and send the eye out of the frame.

Also like @Dick_Knudson version, it has a more ethereal feel.

Cheers

A very creative vision for this image, the word ethereal is a perfect description for it. There is something of interest from top to bottom, you made great use of space in the image. I also agree that the blue sky at the top adds something to the image. However I would lighten the blue just a tiny bit. If you wanted to enhance the ethereal look, the entire image could go slightly brighter, but that is a subjective matter of personal taste. I an also see a very slight increase in midtone contrast in the bottom half of the scene, but not so much that the ethereal mood gets lost.