Peregrine Falcon with lunch

Image taken with Nikon D500 Tamron 150-600 lens
F7.1 1/3200 ISO 2000 focal Distance 600 mm

Thoughts on composition and lighting appreciated.

ig https://www.instagram.com/ronichas/

1 Like

Roni, you sure caught him tearing the feathers off of his lunch! I love that they are flying both above and below him. The perch and the position that he is on it is nice.

Thanks so much for your kind words. I have been there a few times to photograph this beauty. This was the only time I was able to photograph him with lunch.

1 Like

This is a very cool image. I really like all the feathers flying and the dark background to set off the bird. All very nice. When I look at the larger version I was surprised to see a lack of detail in the plumage. It looks like a pretty heavy application of noise reduction was applied. I don’t know if that is it for sure, but something is precluding the sort of detail I would desire .

1 Like

Thanks for your comment. This image was taken and processed almost 3 years ago. I just redid it.
Your thoughts? It is a large crop. It kind of looks the same to me.
Thanks!

Hi Roni:

A little improvement. I took both versions into Photoshop to compare. A little more detail in the repost, but the large crop is probably the culprit. Still a nice frame to view for the action.

1 Like

Thanks Keith, I appreciate your comments.

A very nice composition and action with the feathers flying. However it lacks sharpness/structure in the feathers.

1 Like

Thanks for your comment.

Wow, a Peregrine with prey is something most of us can only dream of. If it’s a large crop, you could try to include more of the surroundings? Agree with Keith’s remarks about the lack of detail. The feathers all around the falcon are amazing ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Roni, very nice with all those feathers flying! I think it’s a crow lunch? The BG Is very pleasing as well.

I am curious,s how big of a crop is this? Because for a 1500x1000 pixels output, you only need 1.5MP resolution (before you need to upsize the image, which can result in loss of details when viewed on a monitor). The details should be there.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your comment.

It was a 1581 x 2022 crop. I took this image 3 years ago. I was using a different lens then. It was a common grackle that he caught.

Great action shot Roni! As Hans noted any shot of a Peregrine with prey is a dream shot for sure. I love the dark background, and the flying feathers certainly add significantly to the image. This being a large crop, I think you could open the image up and still maintain the great drama you captured, and hopefully pull a little more detail from the birds feathers.

1 Like

This is a great action shot, Roni! It looks nice in the small version but doesn’t hold up very well in the large size. It appears that it was quite noisy (probably due to ISO-2000 and low light) and the noise reduction application kinda mushed the fine details. Still a great opportunity and you are fortunate to have captured it.