Petrified Redwood Stump Detail, Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument

I love photographing tree trunks. I also love photographing abstract rock detail. My visit to Florissant Fossil Beds under an overcast sky several years ago provided the perfect opportunity to combine the two.

ISO 400, 168mm, f/16, 1/60 sec

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

Really nice shot, Cameron, and in B&W really makes this even better. The texture and tones are spot on.

1 Like

Generally, I lean towards color when it comes to fossilized wood, but the B&W works well to emphasize the abstract features. Nicely processed.

1 Like

Very nicely selected section of the trunk, Cameron. The textures are brought out beautifully by the light and shade.

1 Like

Cameron,

This is outstanding! I’m sure there must have been some color to take advantage of, but a great choice from what you’re processed and presented. Great textures and details and I especially like the geometry, lines and angles.

Not really a nit, but you might consider dodging the darker areas on the upper/right side. Ok, yes, the light is falling off naturally… just a thought.

Love this,

Lon

1 Like

Thank you, everyone.

@Bill_Pelzmann @Lon_Overacker It’s been a few years since I converted this, and I don’t recall what the colors looked like in the original. Now I’m curious. I’ll have to take a look when I get back to my computer. Thanks for the suggestion.

Lon, I see your point about possibly dodging the darker areas. I’ll be sure to experiment with that a bit as well.

Stunning detail and contrast Cameron which gives your image 3D appearance.

1 Like

This turned out really well. Great texture, lines and detail and the conversion works for me. I agree with Lon about the URC, but not a big deal.

1 Like

Cameron, this is pretty awesome and congrats for the EP! The shape and texture are very striking and the processing in BW is very well done.

1 Like

Hey buddy - I think this looks good. Have you tried experimenting with rotating the photo to landscape orientation at all? I feel like it might help the composition a little.

1 Like

@Matt_Payne hmmm… I had not thought about rotating this to landscape. I do kind of like it rotated counter clockwise. The direction of the light from that orientation really enhances the abstract quality.

1 Like

Oh wow, this is such a cool photograph. I just love the detail, it has that perfect level of sharpness. Nicely done.

1 Like