Photo-bombed Day Lily

The Katydid wasn’t a photo-bomb, just a nice addition to the image. Besides, it wouldn’t move of its own volition, and I didn’t want to thump it off, and I couldn’t make lemonade since I didn’t have any lemons in the picture. So I made a Green Grasshopper instead.:laughing:

A ten image focus stack.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I did quite a bit of background work, such as cloning out distracting color blobs, removing the cyan color cast, cleaning up some of the leaves, which had begun to yellow and brown, etc. Most of what I did was on the RHS.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Camera Info: Nikon D750, tripod, remote release
Lens: VR 180mm f/2.8G
Focus Mode: Manual
AF-Area Mode: Single
VR: OFF
Aperture: f/4
Shutter Speed: 1/640s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Exposure Tuning:
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 200
85% of full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2019, Helicon Focus, Topaz Studio, TK sharpen for web @ 50%

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Lovely, Phil. I have a fondness for insects on flowers and this is a beauty. I like the tangle of Lily leaves in the foreground. To me they add a lot of interest. An excellent image.

Really nice image Phil. I like the color and tones of the flower with the green of the bug. The flower contrasts nicely from the background.

Phil, the details in the flower, the bud and the katydid are great. I think I see some cloning artifacts in the top half of the first vertical stem to the right of the flower. This is a lovely view, well worth “perfecting”. (I can’t write that without thinking of all the years where Windows showed the pop-up claiming it was “perfecting the image” as it delayed the presentation.)

Phil: You know we used to call these party crahsers. Beautiful lily superbly rendered. The critter must have been really still to allow ten captures. Since I’m still holding out on stacking (I bought Helicon but haven’t used it yet :thinking:) how long does it take you to get a ten shot series? >=))>

Maybe 10 to 15 seconds, IF everything goes as planned.

Not cloning, but “editing”, precisely speaking, since it involved removal of distractions rather than cloning over. I left them because of the proximity to the edge of the leaf stem. I admit that it could have been done better, but I always seem to run into trouble when I try to make corrections near hard edges.

Comp is very nice and you could fix the editing as Mark suggested. Well done…Jim

I am posting this to be fair. Whether it improves anything is up to the critiquers, not me.:sunglasses: