Photographer in the dunes

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Are the shadows too dark?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

For this weeks weekly challenge, humans in nature, I chose this image to illustrate how small we are as individuals when compared to nature.

Technical Details

1/200 sec, f/8, ISO 100, 16mm

I think this is a nice wide angle shot but the contrast feels high. The figure is too small to work for me as an image element.

Then when I read the blurred text I find only the Tech Details, when I was expecting to find whether my assessment aligned with the photographer’s intent. Maybe we need to be more specific about how this should work?

Hi Fritz :slight_smile:

I like this!
The photographer in the distance certainly does a good job of showing scale and it makes me wonder if he or she managed to get a shot of you. :slight_smile:

My initial reaction was loneliness and being vulnerable in such a vast space, especially with the low light.
Then seeing the photographer made me think that it’s a small world after all, the loneliness feeling went away, now it’s just vulnerable and vastness :slight_smile:
Then I thought about the distant photographer traipsing around looking for that perspective that speaks to him or her in a special way, which is what I assume you were doing :slight_smile:

I do feel that raising the luminance in the shadows would help (using the shadows slider in Lr or ACR (if that’s what you use).
I downloaded this and tried masking the dark areas separately (in ACR), including the mountain range, and it seemed better but better is subjective, if you want, give it a try just to see how it feels to you. :slight_smile:
Oh, I did add a little burning on the tripod legs to make it a little more visible (using a very, very small brush :slight_smile: ).
I also played around with the contrast and to me, it seems good as is but that is also subjective IMHO.

The submission form isn’t perfect, meaning it’s not a one size fits all form in terms of initial response.
Some people like to see what the initial response is by others without having any specific personal artistic direction in mind themselves.
The initial response request without any artistic direction from you is fine with me, I understand and I don’t mind providing it when I can.
I just know that I’ve had a few images that I thought about posting (but haven’t yet) and I couldn’t really come up with a specific artistic direction for any of them, but, I would like to know what the initial response is from other photographers because that input may help me to form something that I can connect with as well.

Just a few personal perspective thoughts, nothing more :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great Photograph !!! The whites and grays and blacks are all there !!! love the lines!!!

1 Like

Hi Diane. Thank you for your feedback. I have not used the new feed back choices much, so still learning them. Thank you for pointing it out.
Mervin actually summed up a lot of my thoughts perfectly on what I was trying to convey with this image, scale of the vastness of the landscape being the most important one.
I will do better filling out the right sections in the future :slight_smile:

Thank you, Gill!

Thank you for spending so much time on this image, Mervin, and for all the thoughts and feedback. You were able to express what I was thinking; thank you!

My Pleasure, Fritz!

Wonderful image!

1 Like