Photography For Nature

What are the best examples you’ve seen where nature photography has been used as a tool to help care for our natural world? Who’s out there today setting an example for us? Along these same lines, how do you think we as nature photographers can play a greater role in preserving and protecting our delicate wild areas?

2 Likes

I think @Phill_Monson and his individual efforts, along with his Entrada Outdoor Co, has really opened my eyes to how much more I could be doing to help preserve our wild places. Sure, I’ll pick up trash I find along a trail, but I could do so much more. It’s easy to talk about your love of nature, but doing something to help protect it…that’s much harder.

I’d like to see the NPN community partner up with organizations like RMFI (trail/park clean-up days), or the Catamount Institute (outdoor education with kids in mind). These organizations just happen to be in Colorado Springs, where I live, but I’m sure there are equally worthy groups that I’m not as familiar with.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for that @Ryan_Stikeleather! most days it feels like a losing battle, but glad to hear your comments, it means a lot!

3 Likes

James Balog immediately comes to mind as a modern day photographic/film warrior for the Earth, with his gut-punching films Chasing Ice and The Human Element. The scale of his projects is humbling, to say the least.

Also a big fan of Edward Burtynsky and his large format photography showing the massive scale of human destruction of our planet. His book Manufactured Landscapes (and the accompanying documentary) are both SO good.

Dave Showalter has dedicated himself to conservation photography and he has published an important book Sage Spirit beautifully documenting the issues facing the sage grouse and the greater sage habitats of the western US.

3 Likes

I’ve been enjoying watching Simon Baxter in the UK becoming quite vocal about how we can better care for our world. Recently he did an interview the famous Joe Cornish about these issues and he also started raising money to reforest an area of north England. Check it out.

3 Likes

Maybe NPN, and Nature First should have a YouTube channel?

2 Likes

It’s a great idea. We’ve thought about it. The challenge is that most of us work 60 hours a week and so finding time is an issue. Want to lead it? :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah…about that work thing. It’s definitely worth thinking about. I’m not sure I’m the right one to lead though…we’d need someone photogenic :wink:

1 Like

That definitely disqualifies me! Yes, it is something that should be pursued but it will take finding someone who has the skills, passion and time to make it happen.

3 Likes

Hi guys, I’m super new here but I wanted to mention that I can help out in this regard. I make videos for a living and if you need it I could lend a hand. I’m confident in saying I have the skills and the passion but the time aspect could be tricky. That said, I’d like to actively help out this organization so I’m sure some arrangement could be reached. Let me know if I can help.

2 Likes

Heath, thank you for the kind offer. We will definitely keep you in mind. I’m guessing for an initiative like this we would need a couple of committed people. Let’s see if we can find a couple of others to join in.

1 Like

I know that Darwin and Samantha from League of Landscape Photographers have already featured him in their magazine… but I really appreciate the work that John Marriott is doing around wildlife conservation - he is creating some great awareness.