Pileated Woodpecker

This was a new species for me, photographed this afternoon at Long Run Park in eastern Jefferson Co., Kentucky.

Canon EOS 700D
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

1/125th sec, f/9, ISO 800, 340mm

I appreciate any comments/suggestions. Thanks for looking.

Jim
Louisville, KY

Jim, this is a great capture - these guys are unusual, very elusive, and usually at the TOP of trees.
How did you manage to get him at eye-level? Excellent.
In your place, I would have been hoping hoped for an action shot with him excavating a nest hole, or digging out a juicy bug, so I would have been set as a mugh higher SS and ISO.
Your settings worked fine for this shot, though, and you got a minimum of noise.
I’d consider getting rid of all the small branches.
Fine image!
Sandy

1 Like

Sandy, thanks for the input! I was watching a couple of trees and all of a sudden this PW appeared nearby. There was actually a 2nd PW that landed almost on top of the 1st one! Like being in a candy store for me!

I have PW envy! I’ve been trying for a shot of one of these illusive guys. I’ve been hearing one around the house recently and, fingers crossed, I’ll perhaps get a shot as nice as this one. Well done. You lucked out.

1 Like

Nice one, Jim. This is a pretty shy species, so it’s a very good find. The detail in both the bird and the tree looks pretty good. With the tall vertically oriented bird, I’d be tempted to go with a vertical crop and take a fair amount off both sides. I like the alert attitude.