Pink Marshmallow Moon

Yesterday evening as I stood there waiting for this crescent to appear I watched the sky color change from a faint baby blue into this soft glowing pink as it gradually changed into the golden yellow on the horizon. My mind started to wander and I thought the sky where the moon was looked like pink marshmallows, and suddenly I remembered a song, a flashback to 1993, by Big Country with the title Pink Marshmallow Moon. It was strange that this is where my mind went to, as it was in 1993 that I first captured my first crescent moon, and it was in October of that year, very close to the time of the year as this moon.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Not really anything in general. You’ve seen many of my moons and anything you can add is appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I follow the ‘rule of thirds’ when placing the moon in the frame. But every moon is in that same spot. I never tried anything else, do you think a different location would work?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single frame. Nikon D2x, Nikon 400mm f/5.66, at f8, 1/10 sec ISO 100

Processed in Camera Raw and PS CS6. I did apply a slight Orton and Make-It-Glow effect from TK actions on this image.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@organic_light_photography

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Youssef,

Wow! Your crescent moon images are always special. And I think of you whenever I happen to catcha glimpse of this phase of the moon. LOVE the colors and the gradient. Doesn’t get any better than this.

Rule of thirds? This is absolutely a great case for the application of this “rule.” I use it as a guideline often. I honestly can’t think of any other comp that would work better.

This is a beauty!

Lon

This looks great to me. Love the colors and simplicity. I can’t think of a comp that would work better.

Youssef, the cheshire cat grin in the lovely sky colors looks great. I could see playing with crops like 4x5 or square and moving the moon a bit from side to side, or even more into the corner. I’m not sure any would be an improvement.

Youseff, I think this is perfect. I can’t think of anyway to improve it. Because of this image, I spent last night with a nice single malt looking at the crescent and admiring your skill.

2 Likes

This is really beautiful. A great example of composing with color. As for the rule of thirds comp, I think the moon could be a little more centered vertically and horizontally. I suppose it’s really a minor nit, but I feel the use of the rule of thirds is a bit too deliberate since it lines up both vertically and horizontally. Maybe choose just one and let the other one go free. Really, really nice!

Youssef: This is so well seen and captured. Amazing how a single element and pleasing colors combine for a wonderful image. >=))>

Love those colors Youssef; not nits from me.