Pinwheel

Description:

I went out to a nearby botanical garden to shoot some abstract images of the large flower beds there. I don’t do much ICM imagery, but for this type of subject I think it can work well. This is both an ICM and a multiple exposure. During the exposures I rotated the camera counter clock wise and zoomed, which created the spiral effect. In each of the multiple exposures I tried to keep the pink flower in the LRC in the same position while rotating the camera, which kind of anchors the spiral. The multiple exposures were done in-camera, I think there were 8 exposures.

Specific Feedback Requested:

any critique or comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? Yes - in camera multiple exposure

4 Likes

Wow, @Ed_McGuirk , this is super creative! I love the technique and the fact that you were able to do this hand-held, keeping the center of the flower more or less in the same position while not only rotating the camera, but also while zooming.
What a beautiful result! It reminds me of the style of painting called “pointilism” (I think that’s the style?) because of the pinpoints in the details.

1 Like

A great abstract! The colors, the general swirling pattern and the texture (flowers) are just great. But I also like that it is not centered, adding to the dynamics. Cannot find anything to improve.

This is the second image I am looking at today that has utilized double exposerus with great result, (Beech I) is the other one. Have to try this out. Always new areas to explore!

Wow, Ed, what a very creative image, and beautifully accomplished. I too haven’t done much with ICM, but you have challenged me. I love the composition, the colors and just everything about this image. Excellent! :+1: :+1:

Perfect creative use of ICM imo. Wondering why it was necessary to make multiple exposures though.

@Ed_McGuirk Well, there’s an interesting coincidence. I posted a similarly created image in the flora group,

Beautifully crafted. Hitting the same focal point is difficult, but you nailed it!

What Botanical Garden did you visit?

Gorgeous, Ed. Very creative and expertly captured. Nicely done.

Perfect!! A good result with this technique is not easy, and you got a great one!

What I find to be an interesting coincidence is that Diane posted an image of the Andromeda Galaxy at almost the same time. Mathematics is every you look.

1 Like

@Mario_Cornacchione @Ola_Jovall @Shirley_Freeman @Diane_Miller @linda_mellor @Mark_Muller @paul_g_wiegman @Igor_Doncov

thanks to all of you for comments, I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Paul this was taken at the Massachusetts Horticultural Society’s Gardens at Elm Bank.

Mario, you could do something similar in one exposure that both rotates the camera and zooms at the same time. But the reason for doing it via multiple exposures is to create the pointillism effect mentioned by Mark Muller. A single exposure would create an inward spiral, but the arms of the spiral would be more blurry and smoother. The multiple exposure creates “snapshots” along the way that adds texture and sharpness to the spiral arms. Look at the white flowers near the bottom, you can see a progression of sharp-ish flowers, as opposed to the white blur you would get in a single exposure. It’s “stuttered” as opposed to smooth, and that pointillism was what I was going for.

Igor, I did not notice it when I posted this image, but you are right, it’s a neat coincidence …

3 Likes

I didn’t notice it either, until @Igor mentioned it. Too bad I’ve never managed to image the Pinwheel Galaxy… But a lot of other people have and it’s worth a search.

Great shot Ed. Nice array of colors in the swirls. Also excellent choice of flower to pivot around.

1 Like

Love this ICM, Ed! And this technique sounds like fun! I’m going to give it a try!

Thank you for the explanation Ed @Ed_McGuirk … Makes sense now. Ill have to try this…

And added bonus, you can shoot this handheld to do this technique :laughing:

1 Like

Oh yeah! That’s one reason I like ICM! No one can talk about my camera shake! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: