Pleasant Surprise! & repost

I was photographing some flowers on the side of the road and then heard some bird chattering and rustling in the bushes and then this little wren flew out and landed perfectly framed in the fence! It gave me a few cute poses and then flew off!

Specific Feedback Requested

Does the crop position look ok? Anything else…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
300mm
f/6.3
1/800
ISO 800
Adjusted exposure, sharpened, cropped

apani.hill

Superb detail, head turn, and background. I think you should decrease the highlights about 10-20% which would improve the contrast. I think this is Bewick’s Wren which is common in the Pacific Northwest. Good job.

1 Like

Very nice, Vanessa! Wrens are so photogenic, and you did a fine job. I agree with David you could pull the highlights down a bit but, either way, it’s a fine image.

1 Like

Thank you @David_Schoen & @terryb for your input! Yes, I do think you’re right about it being a Bewicks Wren. I wasn’t sure at first but looking in my wildlife app, it looks like it!
Also I brought the highlights back down to where they originally were, what do you think….

1 Like

Nice pose/head turn. Good job on the re-post. Nice detail.

1 Like

Much better with the change.

1 Like

Yes, this is a Bewick’s wren. They are disappearing in the Eastern part of the US. I like the pose and head turn. The added contrast in the repost works well. Excellent…Jim

1 Like

Thanks @David_Schoen @terryb @Allen_Brooks @Jim_Zablotny for looking and your feedback! It’s funny, but the repost is actually pretty much the original image, right from the camera. I just thought it might be too dark, because that’s what the histogram said but it looked good to my eye. So it’s good to know that I was right with the exposure to begin with!

Very good, Vanessa. I agree that the repost is a significant improvement. The composition works just fine for my taste.

1 Like

The cute bird chose an appropriate setting to pose in! Good result! The histogram of the original would have been mostly from the BG, which should be dark to render the lighter bird correctly.

1 Like

Thanks so much, for looking and your feedback @Dennis_Plank and @Diane_Miller ! Glad you like it. That makes sense @Diane_Miller about the camera reading the overall background and lighting. So, there are times when it’s ok for me to ignore the frantic blinking and messages in my camera! I do more than I should, but I at least can feel justified in some cases!:slight_smile:

Well, only with the realization that they are telling you that highlights will not be recoverable.

1 Like

Gotcha! That makes sense, but I guess as in this instance I didn’t need them.