Point Lookout Coast Guard Station/ Lighthouse

Hot sunny day at this state park. Cropped off some of building on right and cloned in some grass/brush over some of the tourist control ropes etc. This is a state park comprising a civil war prison of war site which is pretty much in the Chesapeake Bay now. Site also has an earthen fort where the Northern troops fired upon an confederate boots moving on the Potomac River.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5ds-r, 100mmX400mm with 1.4 Extender at f 7.1, 1/2000 sec., and iso of 800.

elwise44
1 Like

Oh boy what a nice location. Could you have found a way to isolate just the building on the left? I find the one right to be a real problem. It robs the other of presence and character. Not your fault, of course, but wandering for another composition would have been beneficial if you could. Ropes and barriers aside, I like the use of the grass to foreshorten our view and the sky looks nice and not a victim of polarizer misuse.

Thanks Kristen, had a real problem trying to decide on the more modern building to the right. I will try to paint out etc. that portion. The background in that area may be challenging.

Repost to remove adjacent building. Will revisit bldg. site to get more of the river in background.

This looks and sounds like a really interesting place to explore! It’s also interesting to see a lighthouse that just seems to stick out of an otherwise normal looking building. Personally, I would have gone a bit more heavy on the cloning to get rid of the sign on the left as well as all of the ropes, but that’s maybe more personal preference. I also notice a slight dark halo around the building, particularly the chimney, although I’m not sure what’s causing it unless you did something to that area in post.

I do tend to agree that the building on the right is a bit distracting and the image might benefit from another perspective to hide it more (or get the river in the shot, as you mentioned). Also, it looks like this was taken more or less at high noon, so the lighting is fairly harsh – I would love to see what this looks like at sunset/sunrise! :smiley:

edit: one last thing, the shot looks just a bit off-kilter and leaning to the left, to my eye. NPN is not cooperating and allowing me to download the image to verify, but it should be an easy fix in your editing software.

RePost to correct all the suggestions of Matthew. Appreciate your comments and suggestions. Building is more square in frame and the ropes. Hope to capture either sunset or sunrise.
Thanks, Wayne