Portrait of a Pasque

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I love capturing portraits of wildflowers. Pasque are among my favorites because they are one of the first to bloom. Would it have looked better to pull back a bit and get more empty space around the flowers?

Creative direction

I wanted to capture a portrait style image of these little beauties. I always try to accentuate the fuzzy hairs that cover them and help protect them from frost.

Specific Feedback

I’m open to all feedback on this image.

Technical Details

Nikon D850
Sigma 105mm macro
ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/25th second
41 images stacked for focus in Helicon Focus
I’ve added sharpness and texture to the flowers and additionally softened the background

Description

Spring in the Rockies comes in ephemeral bursts. One day the sky is blue, the breeze is gentle, and the air feels delightfully soft and warm against your bare arms. Then, the following day the temperature has dropped, snow is falling, and you can feel the chill of the frigid wind right through your down coat. These little glitches where WInter seems reluctant to listen to the calendar, cannot prevent the hope that rises within my chest on the warm days from being crushed by the colder days. One thing I love to do is to wander around the woods on the outskirts of town and look for the harbingers of Spring that sprinkle the landscape. At first glance the only thing you see are the dry, brown remain of last years growing things. But then, something magic happens. The more you look, the more you see! There are mats of pink-tinged white Phlox hugging the ground. The soil holds the warmth of the Sun and transfers life back to the plant. Yellow Sagebrush Buttercups are sprinkled in amongst the taller grasses. The more exposed hillsides are covered in the hope of the purple blooms of Parry’s Townsend Daisys. I saw the bright pink of Shooting Stars. They are such joyful little points of light. Wyoming Kittentails, Larkspur, and a few Lupine just beginning to form buds. I even saw a few early Arrowleaf Balsamroot blooms!

All of these jewels of Spring are beautiful, but they were not the primary reason I was here. My favorite springtime flower is the fuzzy purple Pasque Flower. I was looking for some in a particular pose that would allow me to capture their portrait in a way that did them justice. I did find quite a few, but most were bent over from the recent snowfall and not yet opened up. I had made a big loop on the trail and was just about back to the trailhead when I spotted exactly what I was looking for. There, on a steep hillside, stood a pair of perfectly formed flowers, all covered in tiny hairs to protect it from the frost. As the Sun neared the western horizon, the Robins began to sing. It was almost as if the flowers perked up just to hear the beautiful sound. They stood perfectly still as I went to work with my camera. I walked away with a smile on my face, knowing I had found exactly what I came here for!

1 Like

Oh what a perfect specimen you found. I’ve seen many photos of this flower, but haven’t ever photographed them. They grow south of here in Wisconsin, near where the prairie used to exist. I think some restoration efforts are bringing them back in isolated areas so maybe one day I’ll make the effort.

In the meantime I get to enjoy your efforts. Overall this is darn good. I like the angle - that you got right down on the ground. The positioning of the two is great because we get to see the center inside and the outside aspect of the petals. So far as I can tell the color is accurate - judging by the grass, which I quite like - the spray works well to set these off and ground them in their place. You did a good job with the soft fuzziness that is so characteristic of these flowers.

I think you’re solid on the technicals and only see a couple of overlap goofs in the stack - they’re up where the tips of grass touch the petals. That kind of thing is very had to overcome in stacking and only a nerd like me would probably catch it. The flower on the left has a bit of an incongruity going in the way some stamen are crisp and some are blurry, but both appear to be in the same focal plane. Also the flower on the right where the stem and the lowest petal overlap is a bit blurry, but the fuzziness of the plant camouflages it pretty well. Again, nerdly pixel-peeping.

Yes I would like a bit more room around these, but depending on the background it could be messy. Maybe put them off center one way or another if you can using Content Aware Fill and Add Canvas in Photoshop.

Overall a real beauty and a treat for my winterized eyes.

Gorgeous!! I love the soft light and amazing detail you’ve captured! I noticed the small stacking glitches but overall the job is amazing. They are easily touched up with cloning. It was heroic to get a stack this big outdoors, and no software is perfect. I agree with @Kris_Smith about just a bit more room in the frame, but that’s a small point with such a gorgeous image. The soft BG and tuft of grass is a perfect setting.

Thanks for this Kristen. I’ve so much to learn on the processing side of things. There was plenty of room to back up and not have anything else in the background. I should probably start big and leave room to crop instead of being too close in! I’ve attached a video showing the scene. and a screen shot from the video. Also, we’re still definitely fully in winter! In past years I was photographing flowers by now, but the area where this photo was captured is still under 2 ft of snow this year!

Thank Diane. I do need to start using a smaller aperture so I can use fewer images. I wish Nikon’s focus shift function was a little easier to use. With the depth of field changing so much depending on proximity to the subject and the way aperture affects that, the value for the step width is so variable! I tend to use 5 with a large aperture and take as many 150 images starting well in front and then picking just the ones I need. I’m sure slight motion has causes a few of the glitches. Helicon aligns single flowers moving slightly pretty well, but if multiple heads are moving different directions, you’re done!

Cool video – I’d find that a great way to document things for my own future use. Mind if I steal the idea??

When I got the R5, with its menu-driven focus bracketing, I grabbed a steel ruler with good markings and laid it down on a tabletop and set up the camera slightly above it, looking along it at a shallow angle. Then I shot several stacks at different “spacings” and at different apertures, to get a rough idea what I would need. All approximate, but a good guide.

Yes, please do use that video idea! Thanks for the idea with the ruler. I’ll definitely set that up and make a note on my phone to refer to.

Ain’t that the truth! I’m always learning new things. One thing that might work is to use a smaller aperture for the stack, but then blend it with a wide open shot in Photoshop. There might be some issues with how large the flower is in the frame, but I don’t think that will be a show stopper. I haven’t tried it myself since with M4/3 I have a deeper DOF even wide open and the way the focal length works I get a fair amount of compression as well. More than full frame so things are a bit easier.

I’ve been enjoying your contributions to the Flora category - keep 'em coming! If it grows, it goes as we say, so feel free to include other plants, leaves, mushrooms, lichen or moss.

Cool! I’ve definitely got shots of all of that! Found some Cheeto colored mushrooms last year that I have yet to positively identify.

This is awesome and needs just a little bit of work to clean up some of the stacking artifacts. Lighting is spot on and I do not not mind the tight frame. This is one shot that requires an up close view to reveal all of the details. A smidgen of more room will make for better framing with a mat for hanging on the wall. Getting low for this photo was necessary and you captured the best angle for these two flowers…Jim