Precarious Perch

The title for this one does not relate so much to the barbed wire perch, which a great many birds like to use, but to the silver/blue portion of the background. That is a soon-to-be tree seedling plantation and it is currently covered with plastic to fumigate the soil with heaven knows what chemicals. The bird looked like it was searching the dirt edges for insects which probably wouldn’t be the best thing to feed on.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything. The light was very harsh for this image and it shows in the bird.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
A7Riv, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, hand held from car, f/9, 1/2500, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 6743x4719. I added a touch of light to the face to reduce the harshness and bring out the eye.

Beautiful detail and colors in the bird, Dennis. For me, the light you’ve added to the face works very well. Sure hope the little fellow can resist the property, at least until the fumigating is completed. Nicely seen and captured.

Very good job with the light. Doesn’t look harsh to me. The rusty wire nicely mirrors the reddish hues on the bird. Well done.

I think the light looks fine, Dennis. Nice capture of the bird with good handling of the bg. I haven’t seen bluebirds this spring. I do have chickadees and Titmice nesting.

What a beauty, but a shame about the chemicals. The light is so beautiful that I had to do just a tiny touch-up. Put more focus on that little face. I also love the stray feather.