Preference between takes on this scene?

I was out in the desert again, same spot, same isolation, same sense of peace in a crazy world. I am posting different versions of a scene and wonder if you have any preference and if so, why? I am leaning toward one of them, but I like all three. They each convey a little different feeling and emotion for me. Each is a different image/file. Any thoughts?

Harley, first impression for me is the first image or top one if you will. Not sure why, just hits me with a little more impact then the others. No nit, just going with that one here… :sunglasses:

Harley, my preference is for the middle image. To me, I feel the clouds are too centered in the first and too much sky in the third, lessening the impact.

Dang Harley…sweet conditions! My preference is for the first one also. Even though the 2nd shot seems to fill the frame a bit more logically, I still prefer the feel of the 1st one. The central nature of the storm calms me as a viewer and I can concentrate more on the intricate nature of the cloud formation. The 2nd one just lacks impact for me and the 3rd one has a great deal (>50% of image) as a single dark cloud mass.

My only other comment is that the 1st shot for me has a top-heaviness that for my eye would be improved with lighter clouds. The cloud mass may be the darkest part of the image - possibly darker than the shadows in the mountain below (I didn’t bring it into Ps), or at least as dark. I would be tempted to dodge the clouds somewhat to relieve some of the visual weight up there. Otherwise, a killer shot worthy of a substantial enlargement! Thanks for sharing.

Damn, those are some killer clouds. If you were out in time the sunrise looks like it would have been spectacular if it broke through.
For me it’s no contest. The first has the best compositional balance, IMO. I also prefer those lenticular clouds not being cut off at the left frame edge. Personally, I could see cropping the first into 2:3 ratio by trimming the edges and placing more emphasis on the central portion of the image - where the all action is,

Can’t really go wrong with any of these Harley. Before getting into composition, I’d just like to say they are processed perfectly, this was wonderful light and your processing does a great job showcasing the light.

My preferences are Image #1 first choice , Image #2 third choice, Image #3 second choice. I prefer #1 to #2 because I think you need more of the blue sky to the left to better convey the drama in the big cloud. In Image #2 the clouds feels too tight and cramped on both the left and right edge to me.

Image # 3 in some ways tells a different story, but I really like the strong contrast created by including more of the dark clouds at the top, this creates more of a spotlight effect. The white clouds are less dramatic in #3, but there is more contrast.

I think it would also be interesting to see #1 in less of a pano format, and including more of the darker clouds at the top (similar to #3). This would incorporate the drama/contrast of #3, an dhte more interesting shape of the white cloud from #1. Perhaps you have that in another bracket.

But really, all these images are wonderful, my preferences come down to personal taste.

Thanks for the thoughts and comments! They are much appreciated.

@Dave_Dillemuth, I was out before sunrise, but the crest was largely covered by the black clouds without much definition and as the morning went along, the darker clouds lifted and morphed into more shapes, tones and color.

Just saw these, Harley, all are very striking. Image #2 for me is a favorite, I like the left of center cloud orientation and it seems softer light and shadows in the mountain details. I would trim the blackness off the top and go with a panorama though . What a glorious morning you had.

#3 is the best, with minor modifications.

Harley, you said that there was one of these 3 that you preferred yourself. I’m curious to learn which one and why.

@Ed_McGuirk, for me, it is very close between 1 and 2, but I am leaning toward 1. I like the balance provided by the blues on both sides, and as @Dave_Dillemuth points, the lenticular is not cut off.

Harley, I like 1 and 2 a lot, with a slight preference for #2. #1 feels compressed vertically. #2 gives a better look at the piled clouds. Looks like some dramatic weather, must have been good fun.