Prickly Pear bloom

This is a look at one of the Prickly Pear blooms that appear in late spring in our Montana yard on a morning after some overnight rain. A 7 shot stack to get all of the bloom sharp. (5D3, 180mm macro, 1/50 s, f/14, iso 200, tripod)

1 Like

Very nice, Mark! I like the color you got for the yellow. It looks nice and natural. Did you have to work the white balance or anything to get this yellow color? I had trouble recently with some yellow pricklies!

Gorgeous, Mark. Love the diagonal line create by the edges of the cacti and the water droplets on the flower. Great detail in the flower. Nicely done.

Mark, assuming that you’re using Adobe software the color problem is likely because you expanded the histogram or pushed the contrast. All Adobe software adds lots of saturation under those conditions. I find myself often reducing the yellow channel by 20 - 30 points and the green channel by 10 - 15 points (in Lightroom Develop module), when I start with a low contrast (or very bright or very dark) raw file. For this shot, the yellows stayed nicely pure.

2 Likes

Thanks Mark. Yes, I use Lightroom and Photoshop. I’ll keep in mind to address the Yellow and Green channels for situations like this.

Mark, a wonderful find and so close to home too… :cowboy_hat_face:
I often see the reds but rarely the yellows in the field. I do prefer the yellows but we take what we can get…very nicely done… :+1: