Printing: Perceptual vs Relative Colorimetric

The literature explains that when you use the rendering intent Perceptual then the color that are out of workspace are mapped into the workspace. The redering intent Relative Colorimetric states that this does not occur.

So I set up my soft proof for the icc profile of my paper and when I toggled between the two intents I could see a big difference. The perceptual was much better. Then I went to print the image and the difference remained in the preview. However, the print itself looked like Relative Colorimetric even though it was printed as Perceptive. Thereafter, photoshop never shows any difference in previews between the Perceptual and the Relative Colorimetric - in soft copy or in the print previews.

Can anyone explain what happened?

It’s almost as though the printer was incapable or rendering the Perceptual rendering and photoshop just stopped showing it as an option that’s different.

Did you print both and compare or just one? I’m not a printing expert, but I know there should be a difference and if the printer understands the difference will lay down ink differently for each.

1 Like

Did you use "Printer manages colors "or "Photoshop manages colors (or whatever this setting is called in your printer module) ? If you let your processing software manage color, you must disable the printer’s color management in the print settings dialog.

1 Like

Igor, is PS no longer showing any difference for just this image, or is it happening for any image…a permanent change? If permanent, I’d agree with you that PS seems to have “learned” something about your printer.
I wish I knew how to help you, alas I cannot.

@Igor_Doncov ,
@Diane_Miller mentioned a webpage in her “Laguna” post, an article about ProPhoto color space.
I found the article and posted it. The “Image Science” webpage looks interesting, and there is a blog page, so maybe you’d get some answers there?

Never mind. My mistake.

In order to save money I’ve been print editing on epson paper and final printing on hahelmuke paper. The epson gloss paper shows no difference between the two printer rederings (perceptual and r.c.) while the hahelmuke does. I soft proofed with hah and then printed with epson (the only available paper). Bad idea. Sorry for troubling you.

There was a valuable lesson here for me. I have to stay consistently with the same paper throughout. Up until now I haven’t noticed a difference because one used gloss paper and the other baryta and the results seemed the same.

Sorry for the confusion.