Printing your photography

I guess I’ll try and start a conversation. Someday, I’m not sure when, but I’d like to try selling prints on my website. I’m wondering if anyone has any recommendations on local printers (that would be printers in Colorado), or online printers like Bay Photo, or Nations Photo Lab.

And, this should probably be it’s own topic, does anyone show their work at events, or local competitions? I’ve never tried, and I would like to get some opinions about if you’ve had much success. Is it worth it? Stuff like that.

Thanks in advance.

I’ve been using Reed Photo in Denver and have been very happy with them. They have a wide variety photographic papers and fine art papers, they are very professional.

For plaque mounted prints Dura Plaq does excellent work and they are based in Longmont.

Online I use Bayphoto occasionally for metal, although I think Magna Chrome has better quality.

For acrylic it is hard to beat Nevada Art Printers

We used to do a number of events in the RMNP section of NPN, like the Lousville Art Show and we also did a showing at a library one year. I think @Bob_Maynard played a big role in this, but my memory may be failing me. I would love to see this come back!

1 Like

I’ve looked into Reed Photo, they sure seem to know their stuff. Good to know someone who has actually used them.

I’m not sure what type of print I would do, but I think I’d start off with a photographic paper print first.

I’d think it would be a lot of fun to see everyone’s work at an art show, or something like that.

Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it.

1 Like

Hi Ryan

Duraplaq in Longmont does a very fine print. Many artists use Reed Photo. They are also very good and now are located on West Colfax, so much more convenient if you are in Denver. I have had more luck matching my own prints to the color I get from Duraplaq, so I have stuck there.
I show my work in juried shows in Colorado, both strictly photography shows and mixed art. It has been a gradual process as I have learned more about what the various venues and jurors are looking for. I started with one of the art districts in Denver. They encouraged me to take that step.
Be sure to register with “CAFE” which publishes all sorts of calls for entry. Not all shows use that system, but many do.

1 Like

Cool! Two votes for Duraplaq and Reed…they must be doing something right :wink:

I’ll be sure to check into CAFE. I’m not sure when I’ll be ready to jump into the art show scene, but it sounds like it could be a good experience.

Thanks again!

Ryan

I meant to add that it is very helpful to go the some of the shows before entering. There is usually an opening night that is fun to attend and talk to the artists . One of the best pure photography shows right now is the one at the Lonetree Art Center at the beginning of the year. I think it is called “Capture the
Light”.

CAFE will list most of them and list the show opening.

1 Like

If you’re doing smaller prints, you simply won’t beat Costco. Yes, Costco. You can download all of their printer profiles at www.drycreekphoto.com. This site also has a great tutorial on how to use profiles. Make sure you are using their Fuji printers in store.

For larger pieces (bigger than 12x18 at Costco), I highly recommend Duraplaq in Longmont. They understand customer service. I’ve had issues with Reed photography in the past and won’t use them again.

2 Likes

Thanks, Tony!

1 Like

Duraplaq is GREAT! Lots of different media and also framing options.

Tony, I also use COSTCO for quick “test” prints. However, I recently heard that they will be phasing out their photo departments. The manager of the Thornton store confirmed this last month, but he didn’t have any timetable for Colorado. So sad. First they discontinue the polish hot dogs and now the prints! :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

One of the best things you can do for yourself is learn to make your own prints from home. There are some pretty amazing papers to work with, and it might lead to a greater sense of satisfaction with your own work. I know that was true for me. There are many printers that use pigment inks for great longevity. Though there is a bit of a learning curve, it’s not that bad, and producing the prints on your own will teach you how to better tweak your photos for print.

8 Likes

I would love to print my own photographs. There is something very satisfying about holding a print, almost like completing a circle from concept to the final, physical representation. Plus, it would be nice to decorate my walls with something other than paint. I need to start saving my pennies. Do you have any suggestions on a good “starter” printer? I’m guessing something that could print on 11x17.

Since you would like to sell your work, take a look at something that uses pigment inks. I am using an older printer from a few years ago, the Epson 3880. The current version is the Epson P800. It can print on paper up to 17x22. Canon also has some pigment ink based printers.

1 Like

Thank you for all the info…now back to adding pennies to my piggy bank LOL.

I got an Epson P800 late last year (the one Ben mentioned) and I love it so far. I print on 17x25" from Red River Paper. There are other models that are cheaper and go up to 11x17" too.

1 Like

I had never really looked into it before, and I figured acrylic prints were pricier than a regular print but I don’t think I ever really realized how much more expensive they would be…

I’d love to keep this conversation going. I’m looking into selling prints via my site, does anyone have any input into ways to package and ship paper prints, unframed and un-matted? I’ve heard its best to pack smaller prints flat and roll larger ones and ship them in cardboard tubes - A bit worried about the paper permanently curling with this method. Thoughts?

Another very enthusiastic endorsement for Duraplaq. Great customer service and great products.
For my own printing, I use MPIX and MPIXpro. They’re nearby (Kansas) so even with their “standard” shipping, you get your prints back very quickly. Their customer service is great.
For selling prints online, I use Zenfolio. It’s not cheap, but you upload your files, select what services you want to offer, labs you want to use (including MPIX and MPIXpro), and they take care of everything else.

All:
Christmas Cards. I have used Shutterfly for years. They have always been hard to use but this year I am putting a border on my self designed card. The software cuts off the border. They say the card is a 5 by 7 but cards in past years come in variably short of that; as in 4.79 by 6.75 etc. I have tried resizing my export jpeg to fit what I believe might be the size of the finished product but their software interface is routinely cutting the picture off.

I am ready to throw in the towel. Any suggestions of who to use? I am not keen on trying to print these myself.

Should I start this as a separate discussion?

Thanks
Kathy

Hi Kathy,
Depending if you are willing, I have had good luck with printing my own greeting cards using Red River glossy card stock. They also provide good instruction on printing.
Cheers

Hi Ken
What program do you use to design the cards? Would I be learning new things in Photoshop?

Kathy