Protea species, Mercado dos Lavradores flower stall - Funchal, Madeira

When native plants are resting and the garden is dormant, the flower sellers in Funchal, Maderia still have a cacophony of exotic blooms just waiting to be enjoyed.

Protea is a diverse Genus of plants. About 92% of the species occur only in the Cape Floristic Region of South Africa. However, they are grown as ornamentals in tropical regions.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
iPhone 8, back camera. Processed in Lightroom & Photoshop.

paulgwiegman
1 Like

At first I thought this was fireworks. It’s a really interesting flower. I can only imagine that everything pollinates it. The focus looks a bit crispy to me, but otherwise damn, this is very cool.

The main pollinators are birds, insects, and wind. Some species exhibit both self-pollination and cross-pollination as a method of reproduction.

Wow, I have never seen anything like this in nature. It’s incredible. Nice work on it Paul. And with an iPhone too. Well done.

Wonderfully fun photo, Paul. First thing I thought of was fireworks also. Thanks for sharing all the background details. Fantastic photo.

Hi Paul,

The flowers and lighting look very good with the black BG. There is a row of blue dashes at the bottom that look like they do not belong in the image. Reflections or part of the flower, it drew my eye because of the linear arrangement. I would burn them or rubber stamp them out of the comp. Otherwise, an awesome shot…Jim

Thank you @Kris_Smith @linda_mellor @Jim_Zablotny @David_Bostock

David, to see these “in nature” a trip to South Africa is in your future. Here’s a native species at Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, Cape Town, South Africa.

Jim, thanks for pointing out those blue reflections. I took the photo at a flower stand in the market, and I suspect they are on the edge of the vase the blooms were in. The vendor mixed some roses and other plants into the image, and I got those but missed the blue dots.

Looks like fireworks exploding overhead. Very nice presentation.