Puffin Wannabe? Clown in training?

This is another oldie that I ran across searching for that old image for my wife. We had quite a bit of Anise Hyssop in the garden that year and the hummingbirds used it. As the flowers aged, the petals became loose and would sometimes come off as the hummingbird pulled back. I have a sequence of shots showing a bird flinging one away, though unfortunately, the flinging shot is badly motion blurred. I thought this one was just fun.

Specific Feedback Requested

I wish I’d had more depth of field, but it’s almost impossible to get enough for this angle on a hummingbird.

Technical Details

Canon 40D, 500 mm f/4 + 1.4 TC, tripod and gimbal head, f/8, 1/400, iso 500, aperture priority, -1/3 EV. Processed in LR + PS CC. Cropped from a 3888x2592 horizontal original to a 1377x1722 vertical. Taken July 18, 2009 at 6:40 AM.

Hi Dennis
This is a very nice looking photograph, Dennis. The background helps bring out the coloring of this Hummingbird? and Like the depth of field.
Peter

The purple flower on the beak is amusing and I like how the purple background frames the hummer. Very good detail.

I love it! They are such serious little birds that when this happens it’s too much. I might have a clip of one with a red flower from my pots stuck on it, but we’ll see if I could keep it in focus. Anyway, I like this shot and am glad you found it. Your wife should ask you to go spelunking more often!

Wonderful image! The colors on the bird are great, but the background colors play an important role as well. Cheers, Hans

This is beautifully balanced with colors Dennis. I love the shallow depth of field for the background blur but obviously wish there was more on the flower petal. It almost looks like he’s sticking his tongue out. The detail in the bird is exceptional. Love the title of this. It’s fitting.