Purple finch pair

Here are two interesting images taken in the San Diego area of a female and male purple finch.
What I like about these images is the background mirroring the plumage of each bird.

Both shot with the sun at my back in the early afternoon.

Specific Feedback Requested

hopefully they are not to saturated. I’ve done my best to tone it down

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Female is ISO 1600, male is ISO 640, both +1.4 X, F6 .3, 2000th, both around 50% full frame, A7r4

1 Like

That is really neat how the background mimics the colors of the birds! I’m often so surprised how this happens so much of the time, how an animal will just happen to be in a surroundings or have a background that matches or at least compliments it’s colors. They don’t even have to think about it and they look put together all the time! :smile: They are very great captures!

An excellent pair of images, David. The backgrounds really do work well with the two birds.

Hi David
Of the two photographs, I think the second’s background presents the Finch with the best overall framing. Both photos have great detail, color and framing.
Peter

Gorgeous. I’m glad you came up with such an outstanding image of the female with her yellow cheeks. So many don’t bother.

Wonderful captures, and it is truly astonishing how often the BG fits the color of a bird. Maybe it’s a subconscious selection on the part of us photographers.

Thanks for the comment. But I think the background is a subconscious choice of the bird, not the photographer… We are just there as observers and interpreters.