Pussywillow

I was inspired by the Weekly Challenge to take a closer look at an early harbinger of Spring.

Specific Feedback Requested

Should I have taken more shots for the stack? All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
Shot in my makeshift studio using one daylight balanced 85W bulb on the left with some black material for background. I wanted to get as much of the main subject in focus as possible, so ended up doing some focus stacking for the first time (only two RAW files). Used the Focus Area Flexible Spot function on my camera, which worked pretty well. Sony a77II, ISO 400, f/36, 5s, AWB, Tamron 16-300mm @ 270mm (35mm equiv); also used 3 Vello extension tubes, 13mm, 20mm, and 36mm.

2 Likes

Jim, this is very impressive. The droplets of water is a real nice addition. The details are really nice. I haven’t started with the stacking, so I will let someone else answer your question about more shots or not. It is a fine image.

Gorgeous! It looks like you got enough in focus, but when it comes to the files, you can never have too many. I’d love to see more room top and bottom, but especially on the top.

What software did you use? I don’t see any glitches, which can be common.

Thank you @Diane_Miller and @Shirley_Freeman for your nice comments. I do agree Diane, a little more space would be nice top and bottom. I have been using ACDSee Photo Studio for over a year now and really like it, but still learning too. I like the fact that I don’t have to pay a yearly subscription and everything I need is in one program, file management, RAW editing and conversion, image stacking, layers, curves, and a whole bunch of other things that I don’t understand yet, lol. The stacking was quick and easy and with only 2 files, not much can go wrong. Important to not change the composition of course (tripod!) and keep all other attributes the same, just changing the focus point a bit.

1 Like

Jim, Beautifully crafted, love the light in the image. very well done

Balan Vinod

Jim, this is a beauty! The catkin’s fir, the color changes within the catkin and the water drops make a compelling image. I do see a few double spot “dust bunnies” scattered around, they’re mostly in the background so their minimally noticeable, plus I know that they mean a two shot stack and am sensitive to them from my stacking efforts. In the super large view, there’s blue “fringing” around the drop edges, which is not a surprise with your “not specifically designed for high magnification macro” lens. The only real issue with those fringes is that you may not want to show this super large either electronically or as a print.

@Mark_Seaver , thanks so much for your comments. I know my lens has its limits so it’s nice to find out what they are. Backdrop could probably use washing and the lens a little TLC.