PussyWillows

While searching for this week’s WC candidate, I spied my pussywillow bush, still dripping from last night’s rain. One of the first signs of Spring here in CT, signaling a “new beginning”, and it has been showy for two weeks now, maintained by coolish temperatures.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony RX10M4, ISO 125, f/4, 1/250 handheld, 509 mm (35mm equiv.). Adjusted midtones and contrast in post processing. Background was a problem here, and it took several tries and different compositions before I was happy with it, and still had to do some clone repairs to remove distracting bright spots…lots of small and larger branches in the background.

3 Likes

What a great shot, Jim. I just love the rain drops and the refractions you captured. Very nice.

I like this, too. Simple and well-executed. The raindrops are perfect. Maybe smooth out some of the cloning tracks on the left? Otherwise, nicely done. I’ve never photographed these before, but I always mean to.

I love the distinct water drops on the pussywillows and the subtle colors. Did you consider brightening just the background? Because this is about “life springing forth” I think a less somber background would help convey that idea better.

Well seen and good job on the composition and processing. I’m impressed that you were able to get such great sharpness handholding at that focal length.

Jim, this is a fine pussywillow branch. The mix of raindrops on the catkins and nice warm browns of the bud sheaths looks great. Background in a shot like this is always hard. I think you’ve handled it well. Some dodging of the two darkest areas would lighten the mood a bit more.

Thank you @Kris_Smith @Mark_Seaver @Shirley_Freeman @Bonnie_Lampley @GregVaughn for all your kind words and valuable input.

Simply drop-dead gorgeous! If it were mine (and I wish it was!) I’d consider some low-opacity cloning to further smooth some of the BG branch detail. It would be possible to do a lot of that without having to protect the subject in minute detail.