Pyramid Lake

Description:

Like much of western Canada, Jasper National Park has been plagued with smoke from the wildfires in British Columbia. Fortunately, on a recent visit, there was only a light smoky haze which allowed me to get this late evening shot as the sun was close to disappearing behind the mountains.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any comments welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

1 Like

Really beautiful image, Neil! I think for me the best part is the foreground rocks and the roots of the tree on the right. I just really like how it leads me into the whole image, but it’s the foreground that I want to be in. I really like the colors and the lighting. Perfectly composed!

Wow, what a great image Neil !!

You have simply beautiful light, and your processing of it is expertly done. You nailed the WB here, the colors are very rich looking. And I just love how the light is shining on the trees on the far shore of the lake.

My only nitpick on an otherwise great image is the tree on the right. My personal preference would be to see either slight more, or slightly less of it. The gap to the right at the bottom of the tree is a minor distraction. I might consider a very slight crop, or clone job to eliminate it. I am okay however with the space to the right at the top of the tree.

You know, the light smoke really enhances this image. Normally not a fan of smoke, I usually switch to B&W, but it works here. I feel like I am camping on the lake. Well done.

Great shot, Neil. I ditto @Ed_McGuirk. I like the way the reflection of the sun marches all the way to the middle rock in the foreground. About the tree on the right, I find it fascinating and would like to see more of what’s to the right of it, just a tad more real estate, not much. Maybe you can achieve this or a look at what it might be by using content-aware crop. I like the haze and the exposure on the sun is perfect. Great shot.

Thank you for your kind comments Vanessa.

1 Like

Thank you for your comments Ed. The area to the right of the tree was a bit of a jumble of branches and to me didn’t add to the image so cropping in on the tree and drawing attention to the rocks seemed more appealing to me. I do agree with you about the small gap between the tree and the edge and have re-edited with it cloned out. It’s a small thing but the image does look better.

1 Like

@David_Bostock I’m not a fan of smoke either but this evening I did like the way it was catching the sunlight.
@Larry_Greenbaum the image could work with a little more on the right but as I mentioned in the reply to @Ed_McGuirk it was a bit of a mess of branches and to me the tighter crop on the tree was the better option.

My thanks to everyone for some very useful comments. I truly appreciate them. I did a further edit to remove the small gap as per Ed’s comment.