Quail Pair

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

This pair of CA Quail have been hanging out in our backyard area lately and yesterday I managed to get a shot of the two of them in a dappled, shadowy area. I like the pose and am willing to put up with the shadows playing across the subjects. The Important parts of their heads are lit amongst all of the sticks, and shadows. Does it survive? D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod/gimbal head, 1/1000th, f 8.0, 700mm, ISO 2800, AI Clear, cropped to 5568 x 3712

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I like a lot Dave. This image for me reflect the quiet personality and surrounds of quails. We had some that would nest in our rose garden, so much fun to watch the little chicks running around.

IQ on the birds is pretty good, although you have some hot whites. I like that you got them both together. I don’t particularly mind the setting except for the long shadow on the female and the branches intersecting with her and in front of her.

A nice look at the quail in their habitat. Detail looks good.

Nice shot. I like the setting and don’t mind the shadows. Although as mentioned you might try to lighten or make the darker shadow crossing female a bit less dark. Also if mine I might tone everything down a bit particularly the bg. Good for you to get similar poses from both at same time.

This works for me, Dave. Getting the two together is nice, especially with the way the poses work together. I do think it would help to get rid of the brighter out of focus sticks behind the male.