Quizzical

Description:

Sitting in a lawn chair in the back yard reading a book and along comes this doe, mother of our local twins, and gives me the once over. I had to be quick with the camera because her curiosity only lasts so long. I didn’t see the photobombing chipmunk until I started editing. Too funny.

Specific Feedback Requested:

It was a grab shot, but I did my best. Have at it.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No
Handheld braced on the chair arm.

Lr for initial crop and exposure adjustments. Topaz Sharpen w/very noisy on auto…forget which algorithm. Into Photoshop to remove a ton of flies on her face and head. Poor girl. I know it’s nature, but I removed them anyway. She’s too pretty to have them in her portrait. She’s one of the lighter does we have.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@the.wire.smith

1 Like

So cute and pretty! I’ve been seeing deer and babies and the other morning 3 young bucks on my bike ride! But I know that by the time I stop my bike get my camera out of my pack, they’d be gone, so I just try to enjoy the moment.

1 Like

I find deer are weird when it comes to humans. Many times on a walk to the mailbox, either alone or with my husband, we can practically walk right up to them. They just stand and stare. In the yard this happens sometimes, too. But then I’ll try to stealthily move from the couch up on the deck to get a view of one down in the yard and she’ll bolt. It’s crazy, but they’re not too smart so…

Good look at this curious girl. She gave you a lot of green bg with which to deal! Looks like you got most of her in good focus. The foxes behave the same way. Sometimes, they pay little attention to me. Other times, they’re really nervous and bolt as soon as I go outside.

I just love the lean body and the curiosity level. The greens frame the doe very nicely.

Thanks guys. She is a beauty. The kids stopped by late last afternoon. I’ll post a cute shot.

Oh and thanks for the Editor’s Pick. :blush:

I meant to get back to this one but got interrupted – I love her slightly awkward pose of uncertainty. It fits well with the curving frame of the foliage. In this case I don’t mind the lovely green of the lawn because there is some variation in it, and the leaves have even more variation.