Rainbow Frieze

Loch A Chroisg, Achnasheen, Scotland

I couldn’t resist downloading this especially after commenting on Marks previous ice abstract and thence seeing his most recent image of birefringent ice (good to put a name to the effect).

This was one of the strangest things I have ever witnessed and I was completely captivated by it. It got progressively colder that winter morning and it was apparent that the water surface was on the verge of freezing over to form what I call skin ice. Then as I looked down at my feet I saw the water surface begin to glaze over spreading out from the bank. The ice was as thin as a piece of foil. I became vaguely aware of colours on the flexing surface which changed with the undulations on the surface of the loch. Intrigued I took out my polariser and to my astonishment found the ice was full of fluctuating interference patterns rather like the thin skin of a bubble. What you see is the fascinating result of those thin ice sheets stacked up like overlapping slates on the shore blown there by the wind.

Pentax 67II, 90-180 zoom, Polariser

3 Likes

Ian, those sheets (they look shattered and stacked) in the front are amazingly colorful. The shapes at the top show well as the stones in the middle connect the view.

Incredible color in that ice! I was happy to learn what causes this as well, so thank you Mark!

Beautiful colors you captured here Ian. Thanks for the tip using the polarizer to bring out these colors too. Didn’t know that. This is well composed and balanced and something you could have walked right by. Nice find. Thanks for sharing this.

This scene looks like the aftermath of a stained glass window falling into a river.
Cool shot Ian, nicely done.

Similar to @Mark_Seaver’s image, i have never seen the colors in such a large area of ice.

Whoa, that is very cool!